Small mod on triple tree

burtonbr

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Added a small recess and threaded holes in this tree for internal fork stop, took it real slow since I only had one chance to get it right. These were made for external stop and I use an internal. Not much machining to show it didn’t take too long but here’s a few pics.
38C2B5FA-0ED1-4DB2-8828-B66409CEBC2A.jpeg

With the cam stop installed
1677F551-E2D9-480F-ABC9-F03A5E2A20F9.jpeg

I knew the trail length was long on this bike with 0 deg trees and 10” over tubes and that was probably the reason it handled so stiff at 40+ But wasn’t sure the best way to correct it. I thought about building a Springer, or buying one but hated to spend a lot without knowing for sure it would improve the bike or the handling. I Did a few measurements and drawings in cad to see how much I could go with offset, raked trees and extended tubes.
Found a cheap set of 4deg trees and figured 16” over tubes would get the trail under 6” and only raise the steering head about 1”, it was cheap enough and figured I could always change it back if I didn’t like it.

This is the way it started. Trail was somewhere over 10” best I can measure
72667162-CC39-4DE8-8ED6-F3D0182C8CB2.jpeg

New tubes and trees, trail is about 5 3/4” best I can measure
71DA99E3-ACA8-49BF-99DC-2423077D3A5D.jpeg

I wish I had done this a couple of years ago, the ride and handling is sooooo much nicer, I always heard too much trail is bad but never experienced it and after riding it both ways it doesn’t feel like the same

2E0C5515-E4EB-402A-9F10-BDD960891FE1.jpeg

Added a small recess and threaded holes in this tree for internal fork stop, took it real slow since I only had one chance to get it right. These were made for external stop and I use an internal. Not much machining to show it didn’t take too long but here’s a few pics.
View attachment 245169

With the cam stop installed
View attachment 245172

I knew the trail length was long on this bike with 0 deg trees and 10” over tubes and that was probably the reason it handled so stiff at 40+ But wasn’t sure the best way to correct it. I thought about building a Springer, or buying one but hated to spend a lot without knowing for sure it would improve the bike or the handling. I Did a few measurements and drawings in cad to see how much I could go with offset, raked trees and extended tubes.
Found a cheap set of 4deg trees and figured 16” over tubes would get the trail under 6” and only raise the steering head about 1”, it was cheap enough and figured I could always change it back if I didn’t like it.

This is the way it started. Trail was somewhere over 10” best I can measure
View attachment 245171

New tubes and trees, trail is about 5 3/4” best I can measure
View attachment 245173

I wish I had done this a couple of years ago, the ride and handling is sooooo much nicer, I always heard too much trail is bad but never experienced it and after riding it both ways it doesn’t feel like the same

I complement you on your suspension work. Its always good to engineer a solution and have it actually work. I did similar on a custom sportbike 10 years ago. I was moving from goofy sized mid 80's tires to modern 17" radials and a bit more width. Made sure the geometry was not changed. Handling sucked as a result. Wound up reducing rake and trail and the handling came back. Big grin. Nice work on your part.

Really great solution. Looks better, and no doubt as you said handles better.

Back