Small Model Marine Engine

Dataporter

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am building a model marine engine from plans in a book called "Working Steam Engines" by Rudy Kouhoupt. I've been working on it since probably last spring or summer and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Too many things compete for my time and I've only been able to work on it an evening or two a week maybe and a Sunday or two. Sometimes, when I get to this point in a project, I get anxious to see it run! The brass cylinder block is 1" x 1" x 2.5", it has 5/8" bore and 5/8" stroke. I need to finish the crosshead guides and make the flywheel look prettier. Then I need the pistons, slide valves, steam chest covers, intake manifold and a couple other parts. So, here are some photos to show off what I have been doing. - Dave

IMG_0261 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0262 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0265 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0266 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0264 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0261 (Medium).JPG IMG_0262 (Medium).JPG IMG_0265 (Medium).JPG IMG_0266 (Medium).JPG IMG_0264 (Medium).JPG

Lotsa hours in the little bugger! Looks good.

I sympathize with your can't hardlies. I'm working on a gas engine of my own design. Yesterday, I made the con rod. Got such a case of "Go Fever" I forgot to take even ONE photo.

Bill

It's ALIVE!

I have pretty much finished this project. It was a lot of fun to make. As usual for me, at the end of project like this I have mixed emotions. I'm both happy and sad that it is done. The joy is in the journey, I guess. So, I suppose I'll have to pick a new project and take the first step...
IMG_2499 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2501 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2502 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2503 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2504 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2505 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2506 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2507 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2499 (Medium).JPG IMG_2501 (Medium).JPG IMG_2502 (Medium).JPG IMG_2503 (Medium).JPG IMG_2504 (Medium).JPG IMG_2505 (Medium).JPG IMG_2506 (Medium).JPG IMG_2507 (Medium).JPG

It's ALIVE

[video=youtube_share;4Vz2hZG9H-c]http://youtu.be/4Vz2hZG9H-c[/video]

Excellent!! Bet your walking about 3 feet above the ground about now. I know I was when my engines run. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron

Nicely done. Looks and runs great. Congrats. Any idea on your next project? Roger

Very nice work. Don't ya feel fuzzy all over when they run like that.

"Billy G"

Fantastic work! I am envious at how nice that turned out.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and for the much appreciated compliments!
Yes, when it runs well, it does put a smile on your face!
It is one thing to make all the parts, it is another to get them to fit together and move together, if you know what I mean.

As far as my next project, I'm leaning toward a small boiler, or a walking beam engine or maybe the Halo engine.
I like the engines that have lots of visible moving parts!

I have the plans and nearly all the materials for the Halo, but I also have a full time job, a wife, and other things competing for my time!

Excellent work on you marine type engine. I think these are on of the nicest looking engines with the open columns so you can see the motion more clearly.
gbritnell

Back