Small o.d. grinder job

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Has any one ever seen a small o.d. grinder ???? (Small , like it doesn't take up a foot print the size of a 13 x 40 lathe) I mIght need to buy one

I need to grind some pins that are presently .725 + or - a thou, to .721" Material is A2 hardened to about 52 Rc

The pins are less than 2" long and have 60º centers on either end. I have one dozen that need to be ground, Any one up for the job?I don't think my lathe and old Themac tool post grinder can do the job (I could be wrong)

You might be able to do some OD grinding with a small tool and cutter grinder like this one...

the size is right, but there is nothing to turn the pin while the grinding wheel is turning

Let someone with a centerless grinder do it for you

Do ya know somebody with a centerless grinder that isn't into million dollar goverment contracts?

I have the same style grinder picture and also a surface grinder. I also have a master grind spin fixture. When you say they have centers do you mean inverted or male? I’ve havent ground any pins yet but I might just try this weekend. If all goes well I’ll give it a whirl.

the straight pin started life as a piece of 3/4" O-1, machined down closer to the .7208, then a 1/4"hole drilled thru it , then a 60º center drill spotted on both ends of the pin, so whoever grinds it can stick it between centers

Ok, So I get some quotes from some companies. Grindall.com quoted me $3164.98 plus shipping (895 +724.98+1545) to grind these pins.
As I get quotes in, I'll post them.. These companies are INSANE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For $3g, I can buy my own freakin' grinding machine and do them my self. What's wrong with people today? Greed has truly run a muck

For a dozen Yikes im in the wrong business. Hey looking through McMaster today at work I saw they have plug gauges 2" long in your size are 8 bucks. Don't know if you need the centers in them but seems pretty reasonable. Their tolerances were alittle better than I'd do +-.00001.

Back