Small Parts/Tooling Containers

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I found these at Dollar Tree, which is a USA national chain (with online ordering also), so accessible to many H-M members.

I think they are a very good value at $1.25 each, which is at least a 60% less expensive and at least 25% more volume than Schaller Corp. plastic boxes with the closest to the same cavity dimensions. The container is plenty stout. You could fill all 4 cavities with small fasteners/parts and have no worries about breaking or buckling the container. The material feels like polypropylene, buy I’m not certain. It's stout but not rigid or prone to crack, like styrene.

The overall dimensions, (my dimensions are accurate, the dimensions provided by Dollar Tree are not) with the removeable lid in place, are 5.03” W x 7.875” L x 2.00” H. There is about .075” of draft on the 4 exterior walls (so the cavities are about .075” smaller at the bottom than the top). The center divider walls are about .050” thick and seem to be parallel (no draft). The 4 cavities are all the same dimensions, 2.41” W x 3.83” L x 1.77” Deep (at the top) (15.9 Cubic Inches) with virtually zero fillet radii in the corners. The exterior walls are about .09” thick and the bottom is about .06” thick. The lid registers over a .20 tall zone around the exterior of the exterior walls. The dividers walls are the same height as the exterior walls, so with the lid in place, anything bigger than dust will stay in its assigned cavity.

The closest Schaller Corp. boxes are the 2 x 4 x 2 (cavity dimensions 1.875” W x 3.875” L x 1.75” Deep (12.71 Cubic Inches - fillet radii)) and are currently $0.79 each, so 4 x $0.79 = $3.16 + shipping.

By the way, my multiple experiences with Dollar Tree online order w/ free pick up at the store has been a TOTAL waste of time. Apparently, they haven’t figured out how to prevent the truck driver from delivering special orders to the wrong store. I recommend going to the store or order online and ship to your address. On the other hand, maybe they’re smarter in your neck of the woods. YMMV

PS: I don’t mean to slight Schaller Corp. products. I have many and will buy more. I just think the subject containers from Dollar Tree are an exceptional value.

PPS: I intend to use them, without the lids, as organizers in drawers. I haven’t yet figured out what to do with the lids.

Get organized!

Last edited:
Update: Just for the heck of it I (250 lbs) stood on one. I even wiggled (yaw) a little. No damage, no problem.

I also meant to mention that the bottom of the container is flat, without any protrusions to index one container on top of another.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a handful of them, but not 36. I'll check to see if my local DT's have them individually. Thanks!

I'd be interested in a handful of them, but not 36. I'll check to see if my local DT's have them individually. Thanks!
Stopped by and picked up four: decently made, material doesn’t seem to be too brittle and the lids fit well. The only downside is that there’s nothing to keep them in place when stacked.

Stopped by and picked up four: decently made, material doesn’t seem to be too brittle and the lids fit well. The only downside is that there’s nothing to keep them in place when stacked.
That's the one question I had, do they stack. Well, shoot.

I'm a cheap type to begin with, but I've got a half dozen or so old cans tuna or chicken came in. Use them to hold hardware and other small items when working on stuff. Yes; I wash the smell out with soap and water.

You may laugh now...

I'm a cheap type to begin with, but I've got a half dozen or so old cans tuna or chicken came in. Use them to hold hardware and other small items when working on stuff. Yes; I wash the smell out with soap and water.

You may laugh now...
My fancy can opener "unfolds" the seam so I no longer get safe-edge cans, but I stumbled across a handy small parts/work in progress storage idea a few years ago:

Start with a snap-on lid from cheese sauce/dip/spread and a screw-on top from nuts/chocolate-coated nuts/raisins at your favorite "warehouse store:"
Flat Round Storage Starting Point.jpeg

If you select carefully, you'll find a lid that fits over the inverted cap perfectly:
Flat Round Storage.jpeg

Not too deep, and they stack nicely.

They stack OK, but since there's nothing to locate them I don't think I'd go higher that 3 or maybe 4 high. I've filled one of them already, and the four I got fit nicely in my new shelving:

View attachment 434009
Did you have to think about "Red lid on blue base or color coordinated"?
I haven't decided yet. :grin:
Looks good.

A problem with buying from Dollar Tree is when you find the perfect application for the item, and you need more, DT no longer has them.

Back