Small rocketry parts

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I find it sad that this forum is here and empty. So I made a couple little parts for a rocket build. I don't think they deserve their own thread really, but I'll add more posts as I go.

These are pretty simple, caps for a tube that fits in another tube. The tube they cap off is used to hold electronics for deploying parachutes and tracking. The ends need to be sealed to prevent the high pressure of the separation charge from damaging the sensors. They also need to move freely in the larger body tube so that the tubes can separate.

It was also a little project to practice setup, measuring, and hitting sizes. Other than some chatter marks on one from parting, they turned out pretty decent. Material is 6061 aluminum.

20180308_002310.jpg

I post all of my rocketry machining projects on The Rocketry Forum. ;^)

Steve Shannon is on here once in a while too.

I'm on TRF as well, but I've been enjoying this place, so I figured I'd put some content in this neglected forum. And TRF doesn't really have a machining section. :)

Keep posting as someone else might start working on this type of thing, and you would be surprised as to what can be adapted from one thing to another.

Thanks for posting, I used to build rockets with match heads and aluminum foil shaped on a writing pen.
That was 50+ years ago.

I have much better tools now.

Thanks for posting, I used to build rockets with match heads and aluminum foil shaped on a writing pen.
That was 50+ years ago.

I have much better tools now.

You could use them to join us on the dark side... :)

Well, keep us up to date on your build, and maybe I will get smart enough to build a rocket.

Back