Small shaper owners- What fun projects have you done?

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just got a 7" shaper, but would love to 'break it in' with some sort of fun project. I don't have an angle-vise, so I'm stuck at 90 degree angles (so impossible dovetail cubes are tough), but I thought people here might have some good ideas/pictures of past projects.

I'd particularly like something that is useful, but gadgets are acceptable as well.

I angle the top slide to cut dovetails.
This tool post was done on a 8 inch Logan
IMGP1182.jpg

Cutting internal keyways

IMG_2082.jpg

Greg

V-blocks. More specifically in my case, facing and cutting a V-slot into a tooling plate for bench vise work.
Thinking of revisiting this setup to make a finger plate - same deal, only smaller scale.
Basically shelved all shaper work except surfacing until I get a DRO mount figured out.

I made tool post for my atlas shaper with my atlas shaper. I made a short tool post on lathe. I used drill press to make a round hole for holding a 3/8 HSS tool. I squared it with a file. I then made a second, longer tool post and drilled two holes in it for clearance. I used the shaper with the short tool post to slot from one hole to the other and finished the toolpost.

Most recently I cleaned up matching mating surfaces on a couple castings for my Gravely.

I also made a serviceable surface plate out of a piece of scrap steel. Not super accurate but more fun than buying a piece of granite.

T-nuts are a classic project and you will need some small ones for your shaper anyway. I've seen people make and use aluminum t nuts on the small shapers.

I indexed with those holes and a Starrett square, and then faced the holes off.

Back