Small Shop Stock Organization

kb3guy

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

I'm curious what you all do to organize your machining stock. I have lots of little odds and ends - bar stock, tube, and so on, that I seem to deposit in the least useful places possible. I just moved into a studio space for my metalworking (see attached) - hoping to implement a solution and turn over a new leaf with keeping my stock under control. I'm sure I'm not the only one who faces the problem of what to do with cutoffs - what kinds of solutions are out there?

2019-09-24 09.22.04-1.jpg

Hey All,

I'm curious what you all do to organize your machining stock. I have lots of little odds and ends - bar stock, tube, and so on, that I seem to deposit in the least useful places possible. I just moved into a studio space for my metalworking (see attached) - hoping to implement a solution and turn over a new leaf with keeping my stock under control. I'm sure I'm not the only one who faces the problem of what to do with cutoffs - what kinds of solutions are out there?

View attachment 305400
Man, I would LOVE to have a place like that for shop. Is it an old warehouse? Hopefully with a super heavy duty lift?

Man, I would LOVE to have a place like that for shop. Is it an old warehouse? Hopefully with a super heavy duty lift?
Yup! It's an old industrial building. The closest lift is good for 3000lbs, so not too crazy - but good enough for my needs.

like the angle on that - easy to store different length stock. I think I might try something similar.

Yeah, it was based on having some salvaged 3x3 grid panels from a retail display. If you have one bottom grid horizontal and angle the top grid at 60degrees, removing every second bar on the top grid allows vertical compartments of the same 3x3 grid. That way the bottom ends stay in place and the bars stand straight up.

-f

If you're located in Baltimore , I now know where my extra stock will go ! :big grin:

Hard to tell by the picture what location you are in , but it looks nice .

Yup! It's an old industrial building. The closest lift is good for 3000lbs, so not too crazy - but good enough for my needs.
Here where I live there is just no old industrial history like back east. Whenever is see stuff on tv series where everybody seems to have access to these great old industrial buildings I'm jealous. It does beg the question I'd never thought of before, how's the floor? I love and prefer natural light and all the pics of the old industrial buildings all had tons of windows.

This storage cart was my first build, I love it and it is full now, place for flat stock has been very handy. This pick is from when I first made the cart. I did end up changing the castors to steel, they roll much easier with the heavy weight compared to the plastic I tried at first. IMG_1507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back