Smallest possible hole through a 2" ball bearing? How?

Cool, I have seen it done with super balls and golf balls before.
Pierre

How about one of those cheap dremel, diamond dust coated, grinding points? I'm pretty sure my 8$ set has the equivalent of a ⅛" burr in it
Run at slow speed and keep the coolant on it.
Aren't thos balls just surface hardened? If so once you get past the hardened surface you might be able to continue with a regular drill till you hit the opposite hardened side.

You might try a you tube search for something like drilling ball bearings and see what pops up.

I am aiming more for something like
Oh, a lecture demo! I used to assist on those... The alignment for a three-ball bounce can also
be arranged without a central hole, by putting the three onto swinging arms (and a loose
friction fit can allow the smallest ball to escape its collar). You want three arms
(meter-long wood sticks?), three pivots (a stand with some pivots, or ball bearings if
you want to be fancy), and affix the sticks with collars around the balls, so they
hold the balls but don't damp the movement.

Heat it up red hot then let it cool slowly then put it on a lathe face it then you cans center drill and drill out the rest.

Try annealing the ball then drill and polish. I've drilled ball bearings this way , although not a hole that small

Hopefully, he already has it done by now. But, he gave up drilling ball bearings in post #20 in 2017. ;)

Tom

Hopefully, he already has it done by now. But, he gave up drilling ball bearings in post #20 in 2017. ;)

Tom
I have been happily working on (much) simpler machining projects. As is typical for neophytes, one simply doesn't know yet what is doable and what is not. Now that I have three years of futzing behind me I am embarrassed to have even thought of such drilling. Though the idea of exploring annealing and hardening does have a draw. If I ever get back to some variation on this project, I'll let folks know. -Bill

@Bill Kahn I only recently come on to this thread. I wondered if it had led you to EDM machining, a whole field in itself :tranquility:

Back