Smartphone app for beginner

Hey! I'm just beginning. I have a 618. And Numbers. Could you send me a copy? ctreleaven at cogeco.ca.

Done.

PM me (ie: start a "conversation" with me) if you have trouble or don't get how to use it.

-frank

My favorite app is the Machinery's Handbook. My 1937 copy doesn't cover fancy carbide inserts, and it doesn't run on Android like you'd expect, but it's the best app I've used.

My favorite app is the Machinery's Handbook. My 1937 copy doesn't cover fancy carbide inserts, and it doesn't run on Android like you'd expect, but it's the best app I've used.
I have a 1990 edition of MH that I rarely use, the paper book is entirely too cumbersome to use today when most all if it's information is easily available on the web, the only time that I have used it in the last 10 years is for rather obscure and little used standards that do not appear in web searches.
Whilst I applaud your use of old tech it is not terribly easy to use nor fast, I personally dislike thumbing through many pages of a book in order to find what I want.

When I needed to make some metric transposition gears for my old South Bend 9 I found the best information in Machinerys Handbook. I don't use it every day but its a great reference when you need it. I bought mine second hand off the internet. -- Jack

My app is the 27th edition. It works even if the phone is not charged. It works even if the phone is not in the shop. It works even if the batteries are dead in my calculator. The only time it won't work is when my reading glasses are not in the shop.:eek 2::big grin:

Not an app, but a bookmark to the theoreticalmachinist.com website when I'm cutting UN threads. It'll give me all the figures I need, including the measurement over wires. Shame it doesn't cover metric (which I use about 50% of the time).

Not an app, but a bookmark to the theoreticalmachinist.com website when I'm cutting UN threads. It'll give me all the figures I need, including the measurement over wires. Shame it doesn't cover metric (which I use about 50% of the time).
Thanks, I've bookmarked that site too. The author of the site apparently has an app, as well. Strangely, it is not available in the Canadian iTunes store even though he is a Canadian. Oh well.

Craig

I don't have an app installed on my phone, but I do have some software installed on my computer that I find quite useful. It is called Shop Calc and was a free download here: Shop Calc download

Don't know the guy or anything but like his software.

Back