SMAW and MIG

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I haven’t used a stick welder in a long time.
After playing around yesterday, I am reminded how versatile this method can be and the penetration is significant.
I’m not saying I know what I’m doing but running a bead with stick next to mig makes me ask myself why I don’t use stick more often.
In High school all we had was oxy acetylene and stick. This was the early 70’s. I don’t think I learned how to mig weld until about ten years ago.
Drag out your old stick welder and blow the dust off, just for fun.

I bet you can tell which is which.

Attachments

• C3319C4F-8E7A-40F4-B567-75E3960BD0D7.jpeg
    C3319C4F-8E7A-40F4-B567-75E3960BD0D7.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 63
7024 rod leaves a good looking weld that is similar to MIG in appearance. Not a lot of penetration, and doesn't work well "out of position." Only for horizontal position.

7018 works well in all positions, good penetration, and leaves a good looking bead. An AC version is available for AC-only welding machines.

6011, nicknamed "farmer rod" is an AC rod that works well in all positions, gets deep penetration, and is forgiving to rust or contamination. The bead isn't as pretty, but it works well. Often used as a base pass underneath 7018 to get full penetration on close-fitting joints.

Here is a link describing common rods and their uses:

https://www.millerwelds.com/resourc...ent-repair-electrodes-equipment-and-technique

7024 rod leaves a good looking weld that is similar to MIG in appearance. Not a lot of penetration, and doesn't work well "out of position." Only for horizontal position.

7018 works well in all positions, good penetration, and leaves a good looking bead. An AC version is available for AC-only welding machines.

6011, nicknamed "farmer rod" is an AC rod that works well in all positions, gets deep penetration, and is forgiving to rust or contamination. The bead isn't as pretty, but it works well. Often used as a base pass underneath 7018 to get full penetration on close-fitting joints.

Here is a link describing common rods and their uses:

https://www.millerwelds.com/resourc...ent-repair-electrodes-equipment-and-technique
Interesting article. I always wondered why the pipe fitters always did the root pass with 6010-6011.
It was a good refresher of the terminology of the number designations. Thanks for sharing.
I heard 7018 was the go to rod so that’s what I bought. I don’t remember what we use to use but my recent experience with 7018 and a modern Miller machine made the process very easy. I didn’t have a rod sticking problem.

When I started welding I did so with a mig welder. Taught myself making all kinds of stuff. Then got a job that only had a tombstone AC unit. Got by, let’s just say lots of grinding. 15yrs later I come across a deal on a Miller dynasty setup and get that. Again self teaching all along the way. YouTube has been a god sent.
All that said I did it totally backwards. Should have gotten good at stick first. It teaches you all the key points. To me stick and stick are the same just different approach. Mig is like bowling with gutter bumpers.
After tig welding stick seems easier to me. I can read the puddles easier no voids anymore it’s like I know what I’m doing.
You wanna test yourself weld off the bench in position,or out of position.

I keep a small collection of rods, 7018, 6011, 7024, 316l, 309. I have one rod specifically for mild steel to cast iron, but can't remember the number

Just curious, is that truly SMAW or are you using flux core wire with your mig FCAW? At least as I understand it flux core wire is FCAW and plain wire gas only is SMAW. I am not a pro welder so could have my acronyms wrong. Looks like I see some flux in one spot? I typically use flux core with my mig since most of my mig is outside in the wind. I find the spatter with flux core is significant and I can definitely make stick look better. True SMAW mig welding with plain wire and just gas usually turns out a little nice for me, or at least last time I tried, has been a while.

In High school all we had was oxy acetylene and stick. This was the early 70’s. I don’t think I learned how to mig weld until about ten years ago.
That’s exactly my same experience. Even time frame.

Back