Smiths Little Torch and Clock Repairs

ChristheClockGuy

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,
few people on the forums seem to use the Smith Little Torch that it becomes difficult to get a good idea of direction. By that I mean I am minded to go the oxygen / propane route and wonder has anyone experience of the torch using this fuel?

I will be using (or intend to) for brass clock repair work. Sometimes for example a longcase plate may have a small split in it so I might try to silver solder it. another time a brass object may be broken and I might attempt brazing the 2 parts together. The idea is to keep the heat more local and brief.

Will the torch be fit for purpose?

Chris

I use one for small work and it works fine. Like the flexibility of the smaller hoses. If buying one buy the extra sized tips at the same time. New tips are like 25 dollars each. The torch does a good job in concentrating the heat in a small area in a controlled way. My Victor torch is just too large for fine work. A general purpose propane torch while great for swetting copper pipe heats too large an area.

Have you looked at the Meco Midget? Very small, light and can do a lot for it's size.

I just ditched my acetylene tank for propane and switch back and forth between my Smith's little torch and it's bigger brother. The little torch was designed to run on all fuels so you're not going to have any troubles at all. I've only used mine for fine brazing of steel parts

Hi, to avoid translation problems by brazing are you referring to silver soldering or brazing whereby the silver solder sits on top instead of being drawn into the lap or tiny joint by capilliary action.

Chris

I am actually brazing steel rods together with bronze/brass rod and flux. I typically use a handheld propane or mapp torch for silver soldering.

Back