Smithy CB 1220 XL gears

Fun times , I was playing around with my lathe, getting ready to do some LH thread cutting practice and 1st problem I only have 1 32 tooth gear and 2nd problem I was getting into a practice cut and out of no wear Some noises and the lead screw stopped. Broke a gear few teeth came off. So now its time to find gears.

Fun times , I was playing around with my lathe, getting ready to do some LH thread cutting practice and 1st problem I only have 1 32 tooth gear and 2nd problem I was getting into a practice cut and out of no wear Some noises and the lead screw stopped. Broke a gear few teeth came off. So now its time to find gears.
Thats odd and concerning you broke gear teeth . Im hopeing you didnt experience some type of mechanical bind. Did you hear the motor struggle at any point ? As a rotating system safeguard my Grizz uses a aluminum pin that joins the transmission output shaft to lead screw coupler.

Thats odd and concerning you broke gear teeth . Im hopeing you didnt experience some type of mechanical bind. Did you hear the motor struggle at any point ? As a rotating system safeguard my Grizz uses a aluminum pin that joins the transmission output shaft to lead screw coupler.
Im thinking a gear already had cracks , as it did not really have a “hard stop” type of incident.
It just made a noise clunk and from that point it was just making noise like a tooth is missing clink clunk .
The lead screw was in N
I later set it back up to the way I had it before. All seems well.

Recieved some test 3D gears for fit
The 4 spline hub seems to be a smithy thing but between my crude measuring capabilities and a friend with 3D printer and engineering skills he sent a test batch. Other than what I think is a printer issue they fit. Looks like the printer tip left a small bead at the corners of the splines. A few minutes with some sand paper and exacto knife they fit. Here is a crude drawing of the small issue.
image.jpg

Back