Smithy CB1239XL

Ironman482

Registered
Registered
I recently bought a cb1239 lathe/mill it's missing the tail stock and lathe motor. Smithy says they no longer have parts for this unit ,any one know of a source for these parts ,I've looked on eBay ,25 pages but no parts for Smith's .any help would be much appreciated

I can't help with any actual Smithy parts but I would try Graingers for an equivalent motor. If you can match dimensions and ratings for everything except for the mounting bolt pattern, check whether it would be practical to drill and tap for new mounting holes.

On the tailstock, if you cannot locate an original, look around for one for one for another machine that is about the same size and make either a spacer (riser) block or a new base.

I can't help with any actual Smithy parts but I would try Graingers for an equivalent motor. If you can match dimensions and ratings for everything except for the mounting bolt pattern, check whether it would be practical to drill and tap for new mounting holes.

On the tailstock, if you cannot locate an original, look around for one for one for another machine that is about the same size and make either a spacer (riser) block or a new base.
S
Thanks for the advice , looking at the Midas it seems like a 12 inch might work. If some one could measure the distance between the ways mine measures 6-1/8 " if I remember correctly

Well I've tried to get s tail stock from smithy , but the guy that returned my call from the tech dept said they no longer support my machine , 2003 model wtf , anyway he would not even tell if a tailstock for s 1220 Midas will fit, I can order one for 235.00 and find out but thats not how I like to gamble.anyone know if the midas will work on the CB 1239?

Unfortunately, I have no idea. But check what they claimed for swing over bed for the two models. If the two numbers are exactly the same, then maybe the later tailstock will fit. If they aren't the same, then the new tailstock won't work on your machine.

Thanks , I was more concerned about how wide the ways are but I better ck the height too,

Both are critical. For example, Atlas used the same basic bed dimensions for the 10" and early 12" So either tailstock will fit either bed. But the wrong one won't work because it will be 1.000" either too high or too low.

Ironman have you resolved your problem ? I bought a CB1239XL brand new back in 2000. I'm in Australia so the motors on the machine were useless. I still have them (as new) The big problem here is shipping ...because of the weight it would cost a fortune.

I have solved the motor problem, but still need a tail stock for the smithy

I have solved the motor problem, but still need a tail stock for the smithy
Would dimensions etc help so you could compare with other models of the machine ? I've looked at the Smithy site... It's terrible. No pics or catalog, only ring us and we'll help. I can do some measurements for you ...and pics.

Back