Smithy CB1239XL

I have solved the motor problem, but still need a tail stock for the smithy
Iron
I recently bought a cb1239 lathe/mill it's missing the tail stock and lathe motor. Smithy says they no longer have parts for this unit ,any one know of a source for these parts ,I've looked on eBay ,25 pages but no parts for Smith's .any help would be much appreciated
Ironman482 I just now read your question, I too own a cb1239 which I have had for a number of years and got the same response from smithy as you have, which is basically “ If you don’t own one of our current machines don’t go away made just go away” I was able to purchase a collet headstock for C3 collets but have yet to use it or them it’s still brand new in the box. I am thinking I made a big mistake buying this hunk of Iron. It requires a lot of modifications to have something more then just a very basic lathe.

I am planning on removing the milling Head portion of the machine and building a standalone milling machine. Not sure if it is worth spending any more money on this thing or just scrap it, and find and old South Bend or something that other guys can help me restore. Part of me says it can be done but the lack of support and interest by other owners of any kind is very demoralizing.

You and the fellow in Australia along with a guy on a you tube channel are the only people I have run across over the years who have an early smithy. My question is what happened to all the other smithy’s that were sold? Why aren’t there more owners of this era machine on any forums? Are they just collecting dust in a corner cause no one can get parts or wants to mess with them. Sorry to ramble on.

So did you ever locate a tail stock? Or find any compatible current smithy machines that you can get parts from. Or di you scrap it.

I’d be interested in hearing what happened.

Stan in Orlando Florida.

Iron

Ironman482 I just now read your question, I too own a cb1239 which I have had for a number of years and got the same response from smithy as you have, which is basically “ If you don’t own one of our current machines don’t go away made just go away” I was able to purchase a collet headstock for C3 collets but have yet to use it or them it’s still brand new in the box. I am thinking I made a big mistake buying this hunk of Iron. It requires a lot of modifications to have something more then just a very basic lathe.

I am planning on removing the milling Head portion of the machine and building a standalone milling machine. Not sure if it is worth spending any more money on this thing or just scrap it, and find and old South Bend or something that other guys can help me restore. Part of me says it can be done but the lack of support and interest by other owners of any kind is very demoralizing.

You and the fellow in Australia along with a guy on a you tube channel are the only people I have run across over the years who have an early smithy. My question is what happened to all the other smithy’s that were sold? Why aren’t there more owners of this era machine on any forums? Are they just collecting dust in a corner cause no one can get parts or wants to mess with them. Sorry to ramble on.

So did you ever locate a tail stock? Or find any compatible current smithy machines that you can get parts from. Or di you scrap it.

I’d be interested in hearing what happened.

Stan in Orlando Florida.
I still have the smithy, and no haven't found a tailstock yet,I've used the lathe a few times and the mill on aluminum, it does a good job on aluminum, I bought a enco mill so the mill on the smithy doesn't vet used much, and I have a small atlas lathe that has a tail stock so I can do most of my airgun work on it, still looking for a tailstock for the smithy though if I come across a good deal on a stand alone lathe I'll just sale the smithy

Hi Iron
I have been busy as of late working in the new shop installing plywood walls over the foam insulation; prepairing for the day I can start building my work benches, and move the stuff from my garage to my new shop. I am curruntly leaning heavaly toward the Grizzly G0602. its a good size lathe for all I plan to do, has a large following on Yahoo groups, a number of mods to improve it and a reasonable price.

What kind of air gun work do you do? I have two, an antique crossman from the 1970 I would like to get or make pellet magazine that is missing and a more modern Gamo Hornet Maxxim 22cal. I very much enjoy plinking with. I am looking to outfit it with a bi-pod for bench rest shooting... a bucket list project.
Take care in this crazy climet were experiencing.
Stan

Back