Smithy Extras I should buy

Boojie

Registered
Registered
I have a CB-1220XL ( essentially a MI-1220XL). I was planning on ordering the Chicago bolt Smithy sells for mounting a QCTP. While I am paying the $11 handling fee is there anything else I should get from them? I know it’s a loaded question LOL.

Is this an item you can't make yourself? I'm guessing it's a chicken and egg problem?
mark

Is this an item you can't make yourself? I'm guessing it's a chicken and egg problem?
mark

For the $9 they want for the bolt it makes more sense to buy it than to spend my time on it.
I’m just wondering if there are some other things I should buy from Smithy ( that I can’t get elsewhere )

I have a steady rest and the standard Smithy accessory kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that- I would say any items that are non-specific to Smithy you could most likely find them cheaper elsewhere, tool bits and so forth
You might want to buy a spare chuck backplate if those are unique to Smithy, in case you want to fit another chuck
Also high-wear items like half-nuts perhaps, depending on how much you plan on using power feed on the carriage when turning

Threading dial if your machine doesn’t already have one. They’ll include the dimensions for making a bracket for it.

Threading dial if your machine doesn’t already have one. They’ll include the dimensions for making a bracket for it.

Are you referring to the dial that rotates as the feedscrew turns to let you know where to start making thread cuts again?

Are you referring to the dial that rotates as the feedscrew turns to let you know where to start making thread cuts again?

Yes. I don’t think it’s a standard option on the older 1220 Midas machines (or at least the used one I purchased did not have one). Smithy has a threading dial that can be purchased separately (or they used to) and they will also send along a .pdf blueprint for making the bracket for it. I assume they still sell these.

Yes. I don’t think it’s a standard option on the older 1220 Midas machines (or at least the used one I purchased did not have one). Smithy has a threading dial that can be purchased separately (or they used to) and they will also send along a .pdf blueprint for making the bracket for it. I assume they still sell these.

I will need to look into that threading dial. I thought the only way to single point threads on my CB-1220 was to never release the feed screw once I started threading.

Now that I have successfully cut some threads on my CB-1220XL (mid 1990's vintage) I can say that there is no half nut so the only way to cut threads is to keep the feed screw engaged until the thread is done. This makes it slightly tougher to cut threads but not impossible. I needed to thread against a shoulder so I had to thread away from the chuck (see Joe Pie Youtube video on it). It worked!

Back