Smithy Machines

ttabbal, The pm 1030v does use change gears and until you spend a lot more unfortunately that will be the case. A lot of the 12x lathes will still require a gear change for some threads but most common threads no change needed. If you can swing it separate machines are the way to go but if not the Smithy 3in1 will certainly make parts that are nice. I have a Shoptask 3in1 and a PM727m mill and would like to get a stand alone lathe because the Shoptask doesn't have a halfnut and requires a lot of fiddling around to cut threads. power feed while turning is also another conundrum. The other 3in1 issue that is the real reason I now have a stand alone mill is the z axis lack of head room and the fact its a pain to get the work to a height that is conducive to working. If I sound negative about 3in1 machines I am not because very nice work can and is done on them and I also never would have been able to even start in this hobby with out one, just stating what I have learned over time. If I do get a lathe the PM 1030v, 1127 1228 machines from PM are on my short list. Matt has excellent customer service in my opinion and will get my money again. Good luck in choosing a machine or machines to get started. One word of caution, be prepared to spend a almost equal amount of cash on tooling as the machines cost over time. Its amazing how quick those costs add up when your get going and having fun! My two cents worth so take it as you will. Get a machine, make chips, have fun, and by all means ask questions here. :encourage:

Thanks for the correction on the pm1030v.

I'm not too worried about change gears at the moment. I expect most threads I want to do will work fine with tap/die if I decide I hate gear changes. I do want to learn threading on the lathe as part of my education, even if I don't end up doing it frequently. That was one thing I liked about the smithy over some other 3in1 machines. It has a halfnut and threading dial. Those seem to be sought after features for lathe threading.

I can see how changing the mode might drive one crazy after doing it for the thousandth time... And stacking stuff for milling...

I'm leaning more towards PM right now for tooling. The machine cost is a bit lower, opening budget for tooling. And it comes with things I would have to add to the smithy like a QCTP. And I can always get a mill later if I decide I want one. And perhaps have budget for some mill tooling at that time rather than trying to make do with what it comes with. It seems like having some funds to pick up some extra cutters and such can go a long way towards enjoying machine time.

I'm a noob, with only high school level machining classes. I would really like to pick up a lathe, but the more I think about it, the more I think of things that a mill is really the right tool for. I have been considering a Midas machine, probably the 1230LTD. The longer lathe bed I could see using. I would want to add a QCTP and DRO to it to start with. I would likely need to pick up a follow and steady rest as well, as I have some projects in mind that they would be handy for.

For comparison, the Lathe I am considering is the PM 1030V. It comes with more lathe tooling, which is a plus for me, but obviously the Smithy includes a mill and a slightly larger swing. The biggest workpiece I see using anytime soon would be about 6" diameter though, and that would be rarely done, and likely in aluminum. Honestly, I see myself mostly working with aluminum, brass and a little mild steel. Maybe some plastics when 3D printing is not the right tool for the job.

Space isn't a huge issue, but budget is. I would like to stick to about $3k. I would like to get the most for my money, obviously, but I also want to make sure what I get is usable. I like that the Smithy can rotate the mill head out of the way, so I can use the lathe without interference. That seems like a big complaint people have about combo machines. This would also be a nice upgrade from my el-cheapo benchtop drill press, which is pretty crappy. :)

Use is strictly hobby. I guess I might consider odd jobs at some point, but I'm not really interested in making a business out of it. I'm fine with it being somewhat annoying to switch between lathe/mill/drill modes. I also don't need the very best accuracy, but I would like to have the machine be able to do a few thou with a decent operator, which I hope to become eventually. To start with, I'd be pretty happy to consistently manage 10 thou. I know tooling will add up fast, but I expect to pick things up a little at a time. Perhaps picking up a basic set to start with, and some HSS blanks. And probably a better wheel for my HF grinder so I can shape them with at least some accuracy. Though the grinder might need some upgrades/replacement as well....

Used market here is iffy, almost going for new prices for pretty beat up gear. As I have no other machine tools, fabricating parts would not be possible, and replacements might be difficult/expensive to source. I think it might be fun to try restoring an old iron machine sometime once I get some skill and practice though.

Both machines have power feeds, though the mill Z on the Smithy looks to be manual, I can live with that.
Lathe work areas are similar, though the PM lathe comes with more lathe specific accessories.
Accuracy/capability? Not sure.
Neither has DRO, but I can add one for a reasonable price.
PM comes with QCTP out of the box, nice.
PM doesn't look to use change gears, nice to have.
Both are 110V. I have 220 single phase available as well.

Are there other things I should consider? Pros/Cons of either direction are welcome, please keep in mind the intended use. I'm not a professional machinist, I'm a hobbyist. I'd love to be able to buy a nice new Southbend and Bridgeport, but that's not in the cards. :) I am willing to stick to the standalone lathe if it is a much better choice for my uses though. I see myself using a lathe more frequently than a mill, but if I only had a lathe, I see myself trying to use it as a horizontal mill as well, which is obviously not ideal either.

The customer support smithy offers is great, I have not dealt with a company that is as patient and helpful in a long time. But I would recommend that you step of from the midas and go with the granite, you have done lots of research and know your situation better but you get what you pay for. Your skill will outgrow the midas faster than you may think.

The customer support smithy offers is great, I have not dealt with a company that is as patient and helpful in a long time. But I would recommend that you step of from the midas and go with the granite, you have done lots of research and know your situation better but you get what you pay for. Your skill will outgrow the midas faster than you may think.

I'm curious why the granite would be harder to outgrow? I can see how it would likely be more accurate out of the box, but am I missing something else? Overall, they look very similar in capability and features. I am sure the granite is built to a higher QA spec. I just want to make sure I understand things to be aware of as I research. I'm months out from ordering anything, so I'm quite willing to take my time and think things out.

I'm curious why the granite would be harder to outgrow?

The Granite has a 2hp motor, while the Midas uses 2 individual 3/4hp motors. The Midas has a bit more grunt and can handle larger material removal. I would imagine that would have a lot to do with his statement.

I looked hard at the Smithy Granite 1340 IMax partially out of nostalgia (remember seeing the Smithy Machines advertised in Popular Mechanics years ago). After reading all the reviews, watching all the videos I could find and talking with Smithy, I came to the conclusion I would not be happy with the 3 in 1 due to overall robustness of the machine. The Smithy just doesn't match a stand alone lathe of comparable size and the its mill portion even less so. In the End I decided on purchasing stand alone machines.

Back