Smithy MI-1337L Lathe

George R

Registered
Registered
I’m pretty close to placing an order for a MI-1337L lathe. They say they will have some in stock in a couple of weeks. The MI-1337L is 1.5 hp.

The other option I looked at was the PM1236. Costs are very close.

The PM1136 is 2 hp and has a high/low for the spindle speed, but there is no estimate for when they will get more of the base model in stock. PM expects the PEP version of the PM1236 in June, but I really don’t want to pay for the PEP version.

Also, Smithy will sell the lathe without the stand (which I really don’t need). This saves about $280. PM will only sell the lathe with the stand.

Both companies have been very responsive about answering questions.

Does anyone on the forum with a MI-1337L have any experiences to share?

My table comparing the 2 lathes is attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6e4a12fd502af4edbe31193bb3dbc6f3.jpg

I used to have a Smithy MI-1237l, which is near identical to the MI1337l your considering.

While It worked fine and did everything I needed of it, the PM1236 is a better quality machine. They are from different factories altogether. The quality is better on the PM.

The quality difference is mostly in the little things. The PM has better castings, paint, screws, fit/finish levers. On my Smithy the apron and saddle were fit together so poorly that on the upper right side, the saddle actually had a gap that opened into the oil reservoir. It didn't effect the function, because the gap was a ways up under the saddle.

The PM is a better machine, in my experience. Probably well worth the wait.

Last edited:
Grizzly also sells a version of that PM1236. The G0750G. It may be optioned out a little more, resulting in the slightly higher price, but is also a better machine that the Smithy.

I live a few miles from Grizzlys showroom, and can tell from fondling the showroom display model, even without having ran one, the G0750G is a better lathe than the one Smithy sells. Go PM or Grizzly,.

Also, don't discount the 12x36 machines with the open Norton type gearboxes, like the G4003 and G4003g.

I do alot of threading and actually prefer the Norton gearboxes. While not a hard rule, they can generally do more pitches with fewer gear changes.

Last edited:
Grizzly also sells a version of that PM1236. The G0750G. It may be optioned out a little more, resulting in the slightly higher price, but is also a better machine that the Smithy.

I live a few miles from Grizzlys showroom, and can tell from fondling the showroom display model, even without having ran one, the G0750G is a better lathe than the one Smithy sells. Go PM or Grizzly,.

Also, don't discount the 12x36 machines with the open Norton type gearboxes, like the G4003 and G4003g.

I do alot of threading and actually prefer the Norton gearboxes. While not a hard rule, they can generally do more pitches with fewer gear changes.

Thank you for the reply. I had looked at the G4003, but ruled it out because it doesn’t have a gap. I’ll look at the G0750G, but I think it is a little over what I want to spend.

I'm pretty sure both the 4003 and 4003g are gap beds. I have friends who own both.

Unless they changed the design.

Here's a pic from a 4ish year old G4003

You can easily see the gap seam

Last edited:
Here's a thread on the subject:

It might be worth calling grizzly to verify that the current versions do/do not have a removable gap.

I've never bothered with the gap, because my toolpost won't reach far enough to turn anything big enough to fit in the gap anyway. Only useful for facing.

Here's a thread on the subject:

It might be worth calling grizzly to verify that the current versions do/do not have a removable gap.

I've never bothered with the gap, because my toolpost won't reach far enough to turn anything big enough to fit in the gap anyway. Only useful for facing.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked with Grizzly yesterday. They said that they redesigned the bed in June 2020 and they no longer have the gap on the G4003.

I may not ever need it, but I would rather have all the features I can get.

I may end up with the PM-1236-PEP. It will cost me $500 more than the Smithy, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum speak well of them.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked with Grizzly yesterday. They said that they redesigned the bed in June 2020 and they no longer have the gap on the G4003.

I may not ever need it, but I would rather have all the features I can get.

I may end up with the PM-1236-PEP. It will cost me $500 more than the Smithy, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum speak well of them.

I've purchased directly from both in the past.

Customer service @ Smithy was good, but Precision Mathews was better.

My PM935 mill is awesome. Backlash is so little that I climb mill on it without hesitation. Matt is a pleasure to do business with.

@George R

Not sure if your still looking, but Penn Tool company has the Birmingham version of the G4003, with a gap @ a similar price.

I've been using a Birmingham 13x40 for over 10 years. It's been a great lathe.

Back