SMOKERS

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi y’all, it’s been a while.
So after smoking for 44 years the inevitable happened to me two weeks ago.
Had a major hart attack that required open hart surgery quad bypass , And It majorly sucks
not being able to use your hands for 6 months and rehabilitation for another 6
Months and lots of lots of pain. Ok it was all my fault for picking them stinking things up in the first
place. Anyhow if you can throw them things out and never pick up another one up it would be to your advantage.
I may be selling off my tools.

So sorry dlane--prayers for fast healing.
I have been lucky--smoked for 52 years and quit for 8 years. So far my only real health issues are copd (emphysema stage 2)
Throw them out you smokers!!!

I quit about 5 years ago after more than 25 years in. Wish I had done it sooner, or not started in the first place. My boss died from it, and my sister is in the process.

Hope recovery comes your way, Derek.

-frank

My grandad died at 67 w/lung cancer, my dad at 54 w/lung cancer, his older brother at 68 w/ emphysema, their sister w/ cancer at 65, the youngest of the brothers at 81 w/ copd. Unable to breath is a miserable way to die. Especially when dealing with a trach tube. I have seen this too much to appreciate smoking or any of the so called subs. Did I mention that they were all heavy smokers. Throw them away NOW.
Dave

Hey, Don't get too down. Many guys have good outcomes with these issues and you will NEED all those tools when you start feeling better. It will happen sooner than you realize. I had a major surgery last year and getting to my shop really helped my recovery even if all I did was organize tool boxes and nap....

That is great advice on the cigarettes too. Speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear that, Derrick. I was a two pack a day smoker back in my 20s, and finally just gave it up one day after about 10 years of it. Carried an open pack of cigarettes and a pack of matches in my shirt pocket for 6 months after I quit. That was to make sure I was really quitting smoking, not just avoiding the damned things. One of the smartest moves I ever made.

I’ve been wanting to quit for years, but not enough will power and they were to easy to get I guess.
Anyhow if I make it thru rehab and a lot of life changes things should be ok .

May you have a fast recovery and even faster re-entry into your shop! Give it some time and don't make any rash decisions about selling your tools.

Carried an open pack of cigarettes and a pack of matches in my shirt pocket for 6 months after I quit. That was to make sure I was really quitting smoking, not just avoiding the damned things. One of the smartest moves I ever made.

Smart and hard-core! Impressive, Bob and good job!

I'm coming up on one year anniversary of aortic valve and graft bypass surgery, December 26th, and it does get better. My Dad lived a good life for 24 years after a new aortic valve, he died at 94 of non heart related issues. He split firewood with an ax till he was 87.

I'm doing better little by little, time in the shop is great therapy. I smoked from 14 years old to 65. Quit when I found out I had colon cancer, that's behind me now, pun intended.

Yeah, I'd love a cheap cigar after dinner with a glass of Jim Beam Red Stag, but it gets easier. Don't give up!!!!

Back