SMOKERS

Congrats for quitting, I'm a quitter also, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, 49 years later and I still have the cravings. Don't give up!

Please tell me how to quit! Got me by the B---- haven't tried yet don't wanna lie to myself. Biggest regret of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many more tools would I have if I didn't smoke?

I used the nicorette gum 20 years ago. I slowly tapered with the gum and it worked I someday 1 or 2 a day the 2 weeks then gum for a week and exercise really helps even just walking. Hang in there and do what they tell you and you'll be back in the saddle soon. Time goes by fast

My advantage is being too much of a cheapskate to spend that much on a bad habit. Here's another way to deal with it: buy tools with the money otherwise spent on cigarettes.

Speaking of bad habits. Through experimentation, I found that caffeine withdrawal (stop drinking coffee for 48-72 hours) reliably leads to a migraine headache. Don't know if you guys get those, but they're so painful I get physically sick. It's not looking good for my beloved habit... Well, that, and the fact that I don't like being a slave to anything.

"Yes, dear, right away..."

Last edited:
Man, oh Man, oh Man! My Dad at 58 (lung cancer), his Dad at 58 (stress and heart issues, old school smoker), Mom and her brother, (COPD, aint dead yet, either one, but tobacco will be cause of death), and still, I could not shake the addiction until 2 years ago. (I will be 60 in March). The damn things will likely kill me. Chantix helped me, but did not consummate the deal. I have quit a hundred times, and I finally got tired of FAILING to quit. That was the idea I needed to get my mind right. Once THAT was done, it was relatively easy.

Please tell me how to quit! Got me by the B---- haven't tried yet don't wanna lie to myself. Biggest regret of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many more tools would I have if I didn't smoke?
I have a friend told me he had tried to quit for years after smoking for 30 yrs . Has been off them for nearly that long. His remedy came unexpectedly. Whil driving to work , carrying a coworker, he said to his buddy that he would love to quit, but have tried every thing. Buddy asked fri me was he really serious about quitting. He said, yes. Buddy asked are you really sure? Yes again. Buddy said let me have that pack In your pocket. Friend hands them over. Buddy rolls the window down out they go, then he grabs the pack on the dash. Looks at my friend and said, "now you are officially quit". He has stayed tobacco free to this day. Yet he says he says he still has the craving, and could smoke one as big as a telephone pole. But, he hasn't. Never developed the addiction so can't say from personal experience. Only you can break the addiction. Even though help from others can give you the push you need to get on the road to a healthier life.
I pray the best for you, and many years of healthy life. Hang in there.
Dave

I did a research project in college dealing with quitting smoking. Of those who had successfully quit, cold turkey was the far and away winner in overall number. This was years before nicotine patches. Only about 20% who quit cold turkey were successful.

There was a notable anomaly with a combination of techniques, namely cold turkey with hypnosis. We had only 3 people who went that route but they were all successful. 2 had been to the same hypnotist and we talked to the hypnotist and she said she had man more successes but could not divulge patient names so we had no way to verify her claims. The 2 people we spoke with both had the same story. They went for 2 sessions before they quit and a final session the day they quit, both had their last on the way to the hypnotist or before stepping into the appointment. After that, even thinking about having a smoke made them physically ill or weak. The hypnotist wouldn't divulge her method to us, trade secret, she did say if we ever started smoking she would cure us for $100. Our research budget wasn't big enough to hire a smoker to test it on.

Something to think about.

Just reminded me my partner for the project was a non-smoking hottie I probably should have married.

I found it easy to quit, did it six times!

The fifth time I went two years. Bummed a smoke in a bar when 1/2 in the bag. I was up to two packs a day in a week.

The sixth time, I'm on 20 years now. Don't dare bum one

I did a research project in college dealing with quitting smoking. Of those who had successfully quit, cold turkey was the far and away winner in overall number. This was years before nicotine patches. Only about 20% who quit cold turkey were successful.

There was a notable anomaly with a combination of techniques, namely cold turkey with hypnosis. We had only 3 people who went that route but they were all successful. 2 had been to the same hypnotist and we talked to the hypnotist and she said she had man more successes but could not divulge patient names so we had no way to verify her claims. The 2 people we spoke with both had the same story. They went for 2 sessions before they quit and a final session the day they quit, both had their last on the way to the hypnotist or before stepping into the appointment. After that, even thinking about having a smoke made them physically ill or weak. The hypnotist wouldn't divulge her method to us, trade secret, she did say if we ever started smoking she would cure us for $100. Our research budget wasn't big enough to hire a smoker to test it on.

Something to think about.

Just reminded me my partner for the project was a non-smoking hottie I probably should have married.
The one thing I've thought about was hypnosis? I would be more than willing to pay the fee and it work. My excuse Is what if I go in not beleiving the process does it work? I see your n Illinois would you know the name of the hypnotist? You can pm me if so. Thanks

The one thing I've thought about was hypnosis? I would be more than willing to pay the fee and it work. My excuse Is what if I go in not beleiving the process does it work? I see your n Illinois would you know the name of the hypnotist? You can pm me if so. Thanks
Was in Virginia at that time and 30 years ago. Doubt she is still practicing.

Back