Smthy 3 in 1 cobos

Bresh

Registered
Registered
Does anyone on this site have experience or knowledge on The Smithy products? I am seriously thinking of buying one but I dont want to make $5500.00 mistake. I want to use it for hobby purposes and maybe try some gunsmithing. Any advice, good or bad would be much appreciated.

If space is truly the big issue then 3 in 1 machines can do multiple functions in a smaller area on parts bigger than mini machines can hold. The down side to them is that the compromises made in getting all three functions in one machine make each of the functions less than ideal. The prices usually seen for them, in my opinion, are often too high for the actual capability you get. It is common with all kinds of machines that the more things they do, the less well they do each of them. Still, it is all there in one machine, and for hobbyists it is definitely a real option. If you can find room and money for individual machines, you may be happier in the long run, depending on what you plan to do with your machine(s). I think the Smithy machines are overpriced for what they are and what they do. Just my opinion, and I have never owned one, but have helped somebody learn the basics of using one.

They are certainly not as capable as a decent separate lathe and mill but if you lack the space they can definently be a good option. I would probably look for a nice used one with tooling and save some money for more accessories.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They are certainly not as capable as a decent separate lathe and mill but if you lack the space they can definently be a good option. I would probably look for a nice used one with tooling and save some money for more accessories.

I have looked on line for used but don't see anything local. Any suggestions?

I have one. Milling sucks, it's just.not stiff enough. With modifications it's barely ok.
Lathe, not do bad. Outside of space, get separate used machines. I bought my Smithy for 1700 with about 1700 in tooling. Look for a used one if you're going to buy.

My 1.5 cents.

Any suggestions?
Patience, and keep looking... The best deals come up the least often. Also, do not be afraid to negotiate and/or try to get the seller to see reality. If you talk somebody down several hundred dollars in 5 minutes, calculate your wages for that...

I have one. Milling sucks, it's just.not stiff enough. With modifications it's barely ok.
Lathe, not do bad. Outside of space, get separate used machines. I bought my Smithy for 1700 with about 1700 in tooling. Look for a used one if you're going to buy.

My 1.5 cents.
SubMachine any suggestions on where to look?

This is what I did with my Smithy...it is being converted to single purpose milling machine with additional xy table
SubMachine any suggestions on where to look?
I hate to say it, but Craig's place is a good way to find deals(buyer beware). You can find local dealers through Craig's list also.

Either buy really cheap or with lots of tooling. I also have lots of parts for Smithys since I am not using most if it anymore.
Picture of my IMG_20181223_102506.jpgSmithy, currently be modified.

I'm in europe so don't know much about your local market. Here Emco(not to be confused with Enco) machines are common. They often have milling attatchments on the rear and are probably both more well designed and well built and as far as I know well liked machines. There are a number of diffrent sizes, I think a maximat 3 or 5 is similar to the smithy in size and there are lots of accessories available. No matter what you always make some sacrifices when chosing a combination machine, like bob said. Usually the main thing is convenience, it takes time to switch between late and mill and tram the things in, etc.

Back