Snap Ring Pliers (On the right path?)

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
So, I've made a number of jump-rings for my girlfriend to use on one of her projects. They are 1/8" inch stainless steel, with a little over 1.5" diameter.

She needs to slightly open the rings a little bit in order to snap them into places. The problem is there doesn't seem to be jewelry stores that sell tools for something this big. I have been looking around and the closest thing I can find that maybe can fit the job are reversible Snap Ring Pliers.

There are a few issues with them though.

• Most can't be used for rings that need to expand up to 1.5" or more.
  • A lot of the tips won't hold up against strong pressure
  • Making sure her hands don't get sore trying to get leverage
I am curious if we are on the right track here though, or if there is some other tool under a different name that would fit the project much better.

If worse comes to worse, I can try to just invent my own method and perhaps use some round-bar with a pin in my Mill to make our own plier-type tool. But that would take some time and experimentation...

Hi,
The snap rings I am familiar with aren't spread open like external c-clips but rather grasped with two pliers one on either side of the gap and twisted sideways to provide an opening.

Are these some how different?

David

There is a tool called a link spreader, I believe, that electricians use for chandelier chains. I've had it used twice when we were taking down very heavy chrystal chandeliers. Not all electricians have them, most favour the "twist from opposite sides" method mentioned above, as do I. But it is out there.

-frank

Don't think a link spreader will work but the ones in post 2 should work unless the op is talking about a chain

1.5” Id or od ? Stretching a 0 shouldn’t be a problem :rolleyes:,

The Princess auto looks to be a quality tool.

The Princess auto looks to be a quality tool.
Don't count on it. Some of the Chinese made ones look really nice until the handles bend, the snap ring warps, and the plier tips break off the first time you use them. Snap ring pliers are a good place to splurge a bit for quality tools.

Back