Snap Ring Pliers (On the right path?)

Pictures can lie. Hands on inspection, most likely not.

if you can find a spreader jaw for an old Eifel geared plierench it would work very good and it is adjustable ----it is geared so your wife could easily squeeze it----another tool that could maybe be modified to work good is a piston ring spreader tool---Dave

1.5" inner diameter. I'd like to expand even larger.

I found something at Home Depot (Atron Chain Pliers) but no hard stats given. I may ask them to take a look at it and see if it's something I could use.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.chain-pliers.1000655652.html

Or, I'll simply drop by Princess Auto and do a modification to this tool:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-in-1-interchangeable-snap-ring-plier-set/A-p8007417e

I am still trying to understand your application. Normally I twist jump rings sideways with two pliers to open and then twist back to close. Often depending on material if I spread them and then try to close, due to the spring back they won't close tightly. Are you going to have to close them tightly after you are done?

David

51qBfd4xjIL._SX425_.jpg

You mentioned these. I've used these LOTS as an electrician installing the custom lights in a house. I have two paires. They are not difficult to use. Little tricky to get oriented at first if you've never used them before, but it gets easier. I'm a big guy with strong manly hands, but I wouldn't imagine getting sore or tired would be much of an issue unless she's doing hundreds of rings, in which case, not really anything short of automation is going to solve that.

Kukshawn, I grabbed a pair at Home Depot yesterday and she gave them a try. It was just a tad undersized, but using a special TRICK she got it to work fine so it looks like we are all good for now (finally).

I realized after I posted you were looking for something capable of 1.5” and those spreaders would be tight.
I’m glad you got it worked out.

Knipex makes great pliers. All type of Snap RIng and circlip. Hardened Crv steel. Made in Germany.

....one thing NOT mentioned above: Safety.

I don't know about "jump rings" in particular, but I know many other types of snap rings can fire off in random directions with surprising speed and energy. All it takes is for the snap ring to slip off the pliers and zzzzing!

So get her a pair of safety glasses too!

-brino

Back