So how did that cheapo eBay kit work out for you?

What the... I grab my other digital caliper and start checking things. It was then I realized that the inside measure and the outside measure of the first caliper were different by about .004 (for equal size features). Has anyone else found this one?
This, I think, that is the feature that remains glossed over, unmentioned, and just invisible from any photographs in 2nd-hand purchases. If the inside measure is oversized, likely the inside measure edges were worn disproportionately. Similar for outside measure edges measuring too small. Rarely does the entire edge get equally worn, so checking on a drill shank. or any round thing, try the jaws at the tips, and also far into the jaws, and see the reading stays the same. Sometimes just checking it out closely with a magnifier lets you see the wear. No damn good if you just won it on bidding though. :(

I don't like digital calipers because the stupid batteries and if I need real accuracy I use a mic. I've given up on Mititoyou calipers. I bought dial one off eBay, made in Brazil. Was no better than a cheap no name $20 dual dial caliper that has two needles on one dial. One imperial one metric and seem dead on. The Mit was dead in a month, the cheapo is still fine. Bought a used Japanese Mit, looks nice moves smooth but is off so don't use it. If I run into a good Starett or Brown & Sharpe dial for a decent price ( I usually take one of my gages with me, forgot on the Mit) maybe. But why when my cheap dials work good?
I do agree there is no point if the cheap dials work well, provided you have some absolute way of knowing that its so. Easy enough to check using drill rod, ground stock, or other handy stuff with known size.
What happened to me was I came across low cost stuff that was definitely crap!

eBay has apparently Mitutoyo being sold (from China mainly) that brazenly proclaims itself to be the brand, but at £22.46 clearly has to be a counterfeit. The problem with medium priced, and even higher priced ones, is that they are also likely counterfeits - just expensive ones!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtV-tT8I-5I

Starret has a great reputation from the past. There are postings in this forum about modern Starret kit that are now less than complimentary. Brown and Sharpe are maybe hanging in there with the quality. The real quality is expensive! A truly genuine Mitutoyo, or a Swiss-made Compac (dial indicator), if you ever use such, you will know it!

Like you, if I find a usable cheapo that checks out, it's OK for me. I can go through several of them for the price of one high end kit.

I am also with you on the batteries. I have considered on of those "mechanical digital" micrometers, with a digit display that changes like a car mileage odometer.

Last edited:
The quality of the tool is one thing. The finesse of the user is another. If the two are not compatible. Then all you will get is uncertainties.
Yep - and if it is me, starting out with the low quality tool, and add to that my (completely compatible) low quality finesse... Umm ... yeah!

I have to say it's getting harder to get decent used stuff off eBay. It's hard enough to weigh all the factors, is it in good shape, are those really the pictures of it, does this seem like a credible person, do they have good feedback, do they know about what they are selling? But now is it a fake, is this a dealer who is a scammer etc etc. I feel lucky I got most of what I wanted in years past as some of used items have not been the bargain I was hoping for.

I cannot fathom the economics behind a system where this 20 pound chunk of iron and copper goes across the Pacific, has ANY BLOODY THING AT ALL DONE TO IT, and gets back across the ocean, thru several layers of wholesale/retail markups, and then into my hands with any hope of function, much less longevity, for 50 lousy bucks. They are eroding this economy from within. Rant over.

One problem with this incredibly cheap Chinese stuff is that folks have come to believe that you can get something for nothing. We all
like bargains, but when it's too good to be true, it's time to look elsewhere. The $22.00 Mitutoyo copies are a perfect example: everyone
knows how much Mitu charges for their stuff so the difference between a reasonable discount and never-never land should be obvious.

Ok. Let me speak to the Chinese Trade Takeover as it relates to less "fussy" stuff-

A customer of mine had the need for a new starter. 1975 Ford F-250 with the 360 engine. Mind you, Ford quit producing these engines in 1976. In 2016, I fell under this truck to do the starter R&R. I found the "cheap" line O'Reilly Auto starter, with paint and tag still quite readable. I exchanged that starter for the "high" line unit from O'Reilly. It retailed for $50. It started the truck exactly ONE time. After that, the motor would spin, but the bendix would not throw. Took it back, and got my cash. I then went to CarQuest, and paid $65 for a starter remanufactured in Mexico. It is still in service.

I cannot fathom the economics behind a system where this 20 pound chunk of iron and copper goes across the Pacific, has ANY BLOODY THING AT ALL DONE TO IT, and gets back across the ocean, thru several layers of wholesale/retail markups, and then into my hands with any hope of function, much less longevity, for 50 lousy bucks. They are eroding this economy from within. Rant over.
While I totally agree, as far back as the late 70's and 80's rebuilt starters/alts even done in this country were suspect. I can only speculate but when a worker is paid by the piece and all units are flat rate he is more likely to jam junk out the door. We had a local guy we knew that we took all our stuff to and he charged by what ACTUALLY needed to be done. Most just needed the commutator cleaned up and undercut and set of brushes. It depended on the original manufacturer.

I feel it's not only folks expecting something for nothing but also having no CLUE what is actually involved. So yeah, it seems crazy they can make stuff so cheap but in the case of China I know people who were brought over to design factories in 90's and 2k's and they did NOT want automation, they wanted more people to be employed and the gov subsidized the factories. So it's all very complicated.

I have to say it's getting harder to get decent used stuff off eBay.
I am thinking it is also getting harder to get decent brand new stuff off eBay.
Just because the price is high, does not mean that Mitutoyo "Absolute" is not a con. Aside from the obvious "too good to be true" deals, I don't know how to tell anymore.
We should be able to evict the fakes!

Back