So how does this Craigslist scam work?

I particularly like how the certified check comes via FedEx or UPS and not USPS to keep from being federal mail fraud!

Sharing information on how a particular fraud works is the best way to fight fraud! -- Thank you!

It kind of makes me wonder if everyone yanked these fraudsters chains if they would go out of business from the UPS and FedEx shipping charges? I think I would reccomend giving them a fake address to send their fraudlent check to and not include a real phone number. How about a fake name "Jer Kmearound" and the postmasters real address? :p

Last edited:
For those with a google account and a smartphone I would recommend looking into an app called google voice. This app gives you another phone number that is connected to your phone for free. I use this number to post to craigslist or other online needs so that my personal number is a bit more protected! Its a pretty neat app that.

That's why I always say: No Checks of any Kind.

I agree completely with you.

As I said earlier if it works out I'll be selling my fadal for around $8k probably on Craigslist. That's a lot of cash. I've never done a deal that large off CL before.

After hearing about bank checks here I think it's going to have to be cash.

Last edited:
When I sell stuff on Craigslist, I write in the ads:
"Cash and carry only, at my location and at time of sale. No exceptions."
I have had no trouble at all with scammers, though maybe I have been lucky...

I played along with one of these scams years ago. At that time there was some government agency that was trying to stop the scams. Collected all of the evidence and turned it over. Never heard what happened.

The check when you receive it will be for way more money than the sales price with a note stating that the check was made in error and please refund the balance after you cash the check. Banks say checks have cleared when they really haven't cleared yet. The scam victim sends the refund thinking the check has cleared and then their bank notifies them of the bounced check. The scam victim has two problems at this point. First they are out the money and 2nd, facing possible criminal charges for bank fraud for depositing a bogus check and then writing a check against the bogus check if they don't have sufficient other funds in their account to cover the refund check.

As many have said above cash and carry at the time of sale is the only way to sell on CL

A potential "buyer" for my lathe on Craigslist...

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying this from you, so please kindly withdraw the advert from site. My husband will overnight the payment asap but he will be paying with a Certified Check from his Bank and it will deliver to you via FEDEX, so I'll need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check... And am offering additional $70 with the original price to have this asap.

Name to be on the payment...........
Address to mail the check to.............
City, state and zip code .............
Final Asking price...................
Cell phone # to text you on ................

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your check clear, due to my work frame and my Kids, I will not be able to come with the cash and pick it up so my husband will mail the check and have someone pick up the item after the check clear., Reference to your post am completely satisfied with it and the payment will be deliver within 48hours..God Bless

---
I assume the check goes bad at some point, but how does that work if it clears?

One of the sure tip offs is the language in the text. Not a native English speaker, in this case pretty good, but not quite normal. Also the formatting of the questions to answer, typical Nigerian scammer format. Also, anytime someone wants to pay you more than the asking price it raises red flags.

It takes a while for the check to get through the banking system, sometimes up to a couple of weeks, but the bank has to clear the check on your end within 3 working days, so there is a bit of a disconnect there.

I never accept checks either but I'm also a bit uncomfortable accepting cash. What if the cash is counterfeit? I do check it with one of those counterfeit pens if it's a large amount but for under a couple of hundred I don't bother.

You can always go to the buyers bank to do the transaction if it's for a large amount.

Back