So how does this Craigslist scam work?

The one thing I forgot to add above is that the check you would receive for the ''item'' would include ''shipping charges'' that you would be requested to forward to the ''courier''. These instructions would be included with the check. This is where they get the money from the transaction.

I just noticed my last post didnt make it as i typed it....strange!

Anyway i went on to say that i come across the google voice app because of a craigslist scam attempt. This scam uses the google voice app by tricking a seller into giving them the confidential access code the app sends you when you Register your phone for a new number by saying this code will help protect both you and them through this "Verification" process. In reality they load the app onto their nonworking phone with your number in place. The app then texts you the private code, which btw states something to the effect of Do Not Share with anyone, and they slyly finagle that secret code out of the unsuspecting victim! With that code they then have access to a number connected through your phone, possible access to your google account along with some other things im not certain of as im not a tech savy kinda guy! Anyway by going thru signing up your number you take better control over that potential access point plus have the benefit of having both a public and a private line on one phone which helps with security as well as privacy.

banks are not obligated to accept any check if they think it's worthless. A friend got one of those scams, someone offering to pay multiples of a couch's value to have it shipped, paying a fortune for the shipping. We knew it had to be bad, and comically the check was a BoA check, and he had a BoA account, so he played along, took the check there and the manager took one look, opened a file in his internal email and showed us an identical image among many fake checks. So my friend wrote back and sold the buyer he would be pleased to make the sale for cash.

I've sold a bunch of stuff on CL you need to be on your toes and expect to get some sort of low life's and scammers you need to weed them out. Sold a utility cart once guy comes 2hrs away to pick up and when he goes to pay he pulls out a check. Told him no way luckily the bank was 2blocks away I made him write the check to himself and pay me. Turns out The guy was a farmer, he had brought literally a horse trailer that had a horse in it to pick up this cart. The check was in the farms name bla,bla. Either way I would not take it cash only! Sold a car acouple yrs ago 15k all Benjamin's that was a good day. Sold a van last month for 3k. My thing is if I don't feel comfortable "I get that/a feeling"I don't do it I'll walk right out of it, and I always have a surprise in my other pocket if they want to go that route. Buying stuff same thing be aware of what's happening and surroundings. Be careful out there seems thieves and scum have nothing productive to do?

So far I have been having good luck putting the following disclaimer right next to my contact info on CL.

" Scammers don't bother, I know all of your tricks and I like to waste your time, you will not get anything out of me."

Since I started doing this I have not had a single scam attempt from CL.

I never accept checks either but I'm also a bit uncomfortable accepting cash. What if the cash is counterfeit? I do check it with one of those counterfeit pens if it's a large amount but for under a couple of hundred I don't bother.
I always take just cash and always bring a counterfeit pen. I always tell the buyer ahead of time that I am bringing the pen and will check each bill. That way there is no surprise for them either.....I have bought and sold cars this way.

In all online dealings my official address is 5050 S. Lake Drive. If you look it up you will find out it is the local police station. This is where I do all transactions that are mobile enough to actually do there. I have had a buyer on my truck refuse to meet at the police station and insisted that it be in a dark empty parking lot. NOT HAPPENING.
I did check with the police before using their parking lot to be sure it was OK, and it was OK with one exception, they requested that if I am selling a firearm that I call them to let them know I will be in the parking lot with a gun, then it is OK too. The police have cameras set up so all transactions are recorded incase something goes sideways.

do you guys do internet banking and bank transfers? I find that a very secure way of paying and being paid.

If someone is paying me, when the transfer is received at my bank it will show as received, but not cleared, then when the payment is cleared it will show as cleared and that the funds are available, until that happens I cannot draw against it. very secure.

I have bought and sold all sorts of stuff on eBay and Gumtree this way, never had a problem. Also gives you a secure confirmation that you have paid.

I have also used PayPal to send payment o people both locally and overseas, never had a problem

There never will be a check sent, they are getting the name, address and phone number of someone who needs money and is gullible... The real scam has yet to be delivered.

The UV bill checkers are more reliable than the pens. Bleaching 1$ to make 20$ is not unheard of, or real currency paper can be obtained by crooks from foreign governments unfriendly to the US, both of these scenarios circumvent the pen
Mark

Back