So I am Looking at this Table.... And it's NOT

When I bought my rotary table I deluded myself into thinking a four inch would be plenty, and to top it off went cheap. Worked ok but should have went bigger was the thought during the first job. In hindsight after having to make a 6 inch dia fixture plate for the second job I think an 8 inch table would be better but is wider then my mill table by a bit so 6 may have to do. I think this all reinforces the buy as big as you can fit and afford. That looks to be a fine example of a good table and decent size so when you get it cleaned up it should be an asset in your tooling inventory!

i agree with ya, i don't think that this one will be my first one, i will for sure get another one later down the road, but the price was right, it is a 6" and the first thing that it will help me make is a cathead for the lathe.

When I bought my rotary table I deluded myself into thinking a four inch would be plenty, and to top it off went cheap. Worked ok but should have went bigger was the thought during the first job. In hindsight after having to make a 6 inch dia fixture plate for the second job I think an 8 inch table would be better but is wider then my mill table by a bit so 6 may have to do. I think this all reinforces the buy as big as you can fit and afford. That looks to be a fine example of a good table and decent size so when you get it cleaned up it should be an asset in your tooling inventory!

Been cleaning it a lil today.

20170617_161211.jpg 20170617_161204.jpg

As you can see, it does have a tab bit of pitting on the table and inside.. the oilers balls still work properly as far as i can tell and the the oiler on the worm.. i didn't see a felt.. so i guess i need to find one!

Nice work. I would love to get a 6" and get rid of my 4" piece of crap, but hey, it was free. If you don't like it, I'm willing to take it off of your hands
for, say, $150?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

On another website i participate on i happen to be one of the "Grumpy Old Farts"! Thank you for compliment! But.. hmmm, if i were to sell it to you.. i would have to add my labor..laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ok.. this is as far as i go for now.. i have it all put back together.. and for now, best i can tell by just doing adjustments by eye, there is very lil backlash in it.. lets just say.. the zero lines, line up!

20170618_130434.jpg

I know this thread is older, but I would like to ask if you miss having the vertical option with this table? Thanks, Richard

I know this thread is older, but I would like to ask if you miss having the vertical option with this table? Thanks, Richard

As someone stated above, you can mount your RT to an angle plate to work in the vertical plane.
The point made about dealing with the loss of Z-axis and cost of an angle plate is NOT really a factor because you would need to deal with both those issues in Some way regardless if you buy a horizontal only with a separate angle plate or a dual horizontal/vertical mount RT! You may or may not pay a bit more for an angle plate over the cost of the dual mount variety RT however you could also use that angle plate to do other work if needed which makes it more versatile. Its hard to justify some of the tooling cost in a small hobbyshop setting especially when its something not used very often, so having the ability to use what little tooling I have for different purposes really helps at times.

Given a hobby shop and the tolerances normally required, consider looking for some very large and thick angle, or perhaps box tube, next time you are at the steel or scrap yard. When you get it home you may need to square and bring it closer to your tolerance needs then drill and tap. I've use similar drops on my welding table for set ups. No reason you couldn't do the same at the mill.

However, make sure it's thick enough to provide the rigidity you need. You wouldn't want any vibration/chatter!

Daryl
MN

As someone stated above, you can mount your RT to an angle plate to work in the vertical plane.
The point made about dealing with the loss of Z-axis and cost of an angle plate is NOT really a factor because you would need to deal with both those issues in Some way regardless if you buy a horizontal only with a separate angle plate or a dual horizontal/vertical mount RT! You may or may not pay a bit more for an angle plate over the cost of the dual mount variety RT however you could also use that angle plate to do other work if needed which makes it more versatile. Its hard to justify some of the tooling cost in a small hobbyshop setting especially when its something not used very often, so having the ability to use what little tooling I have for different purposes really helps at times.

I've had an 8" horizontal only rotary table for years. On the occasions I do need to use it in the vertical position I do as mentioned, bolt it to an angle plate. Both the angle plate and the rotary table get used far more as independent pieces, but there's always a few times a year when they are used in conjunction.

Back