So I am Making this Measuring DooDad!

Bruce you're Almighty! Well, my name ain't Maxwell.. so i will leave the "hammer" out of it.. but the firing pin is a different matter all together!

It is said that there is with certain 22lr chambers that there is a "rim" thickness that the rifle will like better than the others.. so the quest is to find that.. it is said that .041 headspacing is the best.. The ammo i was checking all was running around .031 in thickness.. i need to check some Lapua Center X, my rifle seems to like that stuff!

Not to get into a big debate, but competition shooters use a headspace of .043 for 22's. Lapua has a bit thicker rim than Eley, but everyone uses .044 for both.

Lead angle and chamber specs are the big debate now. I don't know any competition guys that sort ammo on rim thickness anymore.

Ymmv.

Edit: Actually I had a brain fart as well, it is .043 everyone is using.

Last edited:
Thanks, i knew i was in the general area with the number, i was pulling one out of the air, just for the sense of explanation of what was going on.. really not trying to debate or start one.. but i am glad that you chimed in heretofore!

Not to get into a big debate, but competition shooters use a headspace of .044 for 22's. Lapua has a bit thicker rim than Eley, but everyone uses .044 for both.

Lead angle and chamber specs are the big debate now. I don't know any competition guys that sort ammo on rim thickness anymore.

Ymmv.

I don't know any competition guys that sort ammo on rim thickness anymore.

Ymmv.

yeah.. i know.. from what i understand, it is more about the chamber now, since guys have gotten more into matching that to the ammo and where the lead scribes the driving band of the bullet.. like the barrel i have that i am fixing to put on a Rem action i have.. it is a "long" Eley chamber that scribes on the second band. It is a HS Precision 10X barrel that was chambered by Karl Kenyon.

I was apparently not thinking last night either. Headspace is set at .043 with a no go at .045 or 046 normally. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone is really paying attention. Sorry about that.

All good!
I was apparently not thinking last night either. Headspace is set at .043 with a no go at .045 or 046 normally. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone is really paying attention. Sorry about that.

I think we need to change the title and move to Gunsmithing & Firearm forum.:D:cautious:

Back