So I bought a 13” Series 2000

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everyone...... like a caterpillar into a butterfly I am shedding my Atlas 10F in exchange for this SM 13 inch S2000.

Has anyone removed the head stock from their lathe? I ask because I need to get it into the basement and the bed will be much lighter with the head stock separated. That said, my best friend warned me about alignment challenges if I remove it. My experience with the Atlas Lathes is that removing the headstock is not a big deal... With any luck the Standard Modern design team made the headstock of this lathe the same. I’m sure that I’ll have more questions as I progress but for now that seems to be the most pressing.

Best regards to you all.

Cheers,

Derek.

2d45f89270232c0487071c3d4c5bee49.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only comment is that removing that headstock will be more challenging than a 10F. Much heavier for one thing, plus the oil bath
Nice lathe though, did you buy it from an individual or a shop?
-Mark

Last edited:
I bought it from a private guy. It was his brothers. As far as I understand it to be, it came out if a school (no big surprise) but that it was the instructors lathe, so it appears to have none of the typical “dings and chips” in the bed and seems to in very nice condition.

I have yet to pick it up, and it’ll be a bit if a bear to get into the basement but worth it once it is there. And it came with a pile if accessories. The only one I need to find is the taper attachment....

Cheers and thanks for the input.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Derek,
I might be a little late to this, but I'll give some insight:

I own the same Lathe, and have had to move it to and from multiple locations, including into and out of my basement.

The Head Stock comes off with 2 bolts, securing 2 clamps beneath the Head. They are 2 different sizes, for some reason. Once loosened, the Head should slide right off. I always grab a strong friend and use a sturdy wooden pole (like a shovel handle) through the spindle. Having 2 guys on either side isn't too bad to move it around. The oil does not have to be drained from it, as using the pole method, the Head should stay relatively upright.

The head is aligned using the ways on the Base, so it should automatically be lined up once re-installed. Perhaps there is some fine adjusmtent to be made, but I've never tried it.

What's most surprising is how heavy the Cabinet is...

I hope it went well and congrats on the new Standard modern Lathe. Also, good luck on the Taper Attachment search. It took me about a year of looking before finding one on Kijiji (Canada).

-Jeff

Hey Jeff.

Thanks for the reply. I am picking the lathe up in late August or early September. I did manage to get the taper attachment thanks to good old Kijiji. I think that I have figured out getting it into the basement, with my biggest concern being to send my wife somewhere for the day; so I don’t have to factor in her “suggestions” and safety concerns. Were it up to her, I’d have a circle of paper and some rubberized pencils on a cushioned area rug in a well let corner of the basement for a hobby.

I’ll snap some pics and post. That said, did you encounter any pitfalls or hiccups with the lathe? Anything to watch out for specifically? I will likely drain the oil out of the headstock and flush it just to get 40 years of grime out of there, as well as whatever I cause to come loose in moving it.

To say that I am excited about the lathe is an understatement though, and I will heed the warning regarding the base.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Cheers,

Derek
Ancaster, Ontario

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Derek,
Haha, yes, always best to keep the number of suggestions to a minimum while moving something like this. Have a gameplan, stick to it and give'r.

I broke it down as much as possible, without going too crazy. Basically, I separated the Cabinet, Base, Motor, Gearhead, Quick Change Box, Carriage, Tail stock, Taper attachment/components, Tray, and lead screws. On the Head, I took off the belt and one of the main gears. It's all pretty easy with an Allen Key and Wrench set. My hardware is all imperial, but not sure if it's different for the metric versions. I'm guessing not. The Gear Head clamp bolts are 3/4" and 7/8" (or maybe 5/8"). I'll check when I get home.

One thing to look out for is removing the 4 bolts that secure the Motor to the Base. 1 of them is almost inaccesible and a knucklebasher IF the Base is still attached to the tray/cabinet. A trick for getting it off is to wait until the Base is disconneted from the tray/cabinet, and then put the base/motor on it's side. That gives the best access to those bolts.

Almost everything can be carried up and down the stairs with 2 strong people. The Cabinet is your biggest hurdle. I wouldn't be surprised if it weighs 400lbs. If you can rent a refrigerator cart of some sort, that's a great help. Going down into my basement, I had 3 friends slide it on a sheet of plywood, while strapped to a fridge cart. To get it out of my basement, here's my big secret... I hired professional movers.

Well, I was moving out of the house, so they were there anyways. I used them, and I'm glad I did. They have the know-how and equipment to do heavy appliances, which essentially is what the Cabinet, Gearhead, Base and Carriage are. They were paid by the hour, so I had everything broken down for them to just come and move the heavy stuff. Very efficient. They moved the lathe (in parts) both from my basement to my storage locker and then from my storage locker to my new garage, a few months later.

So, I know it's a bit of a cop-out, but that's my recommendation. Your wife and your back will thank you.

Good Luck.

See attached for some pics of my rig. Working on a chip tray now.

-Jeff

Attachments

• 20191027_202409.jpg
    20191027_202409.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200712_191310.jpg
    20200712_191310.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
Back