So, I bought a BP..

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I still need to move it. I'm planning to use a drop bed trailer and come-a-longs to pull it onto the trailer to transport it home, only about 20 miles. Perhaps removing the turret to make things a bit lighter. I have a couple engine hoists available to assist with that. Perhaps a couple pallets and a pallet jack to load? I'd like to have supplies for a couple options in case one doesn't seem like a good idea while we're loading. Very carefully of course.

It has some surface rust and dirt from sitting in a garage for 10 years or so, nothing I can't clean easily. Bed and ways look good and everything moves well. Looks to be a 60s J-head with step pulleys and side door. Paint is pretty clean, but I might well strip it down for a full paint job. Still considering.

It comes with a static phase converter, but I'll likely end up replacing it with a VFD.

One thing I know is wrong is that the PO used a grease gun on it, so I know I have to pull the table and clean everything out. Does anyone have a good kit or list of parts I would need to install a one-shot oilier on it? If I have to take it down, might as well replace tubing, fittings, etc. while I'm in there. And perhaps an oil can that will connect to a zerk fitting? I could build something too..

I'm reading through old posts here and doing some searching to learn more about maintaining these machines properly so I can get this thing running well. Is the Vactra 2 I use on my lathe good for the ways on this machine? Any other lubricants I need to get hold of?

Congrats on the new mill! I vote for a tear down to clean and lube everything. An electrolytic bath will handle the rust.

A good rooster bar and 1" x 36" black iron pipe x 4 and your cumalong will do . Rotate the head 90degrees and a board on the table raise it to the head with board between . Then it'll travel great with with a few good ratchet straps , a cross frame of 2 x 4s nailed or screwed will remove any tipping worry. Strap it a cross the machine to widen its stance. It works.
Ps a rooster bar is a crow bar lol , a Johnson would be super , I want one of those badly .

When you mention strapping a frame of 2x4 on it, are you talking about across the base plate on top of it?

I was also considering running straps from the machine to the trailer in 4 directions, then tightening to provide holding in all directions in addition to the hold down force. Perhaps using the hole in the back of the ram as a holding point with some good strong hardware.

I've never looked for a prybar that big... Where does one find them? Just at the local hardware stores or do I need to look for a specialty place?

Depending on how dirty the BP is? On the way home, you might want to stop at a spray car wash and give it a bath…Dave

A good way to jack it up is from the rear. On the main ram in the rear is a flat spot for mounting the shaper attachment. Bring a jack and a 4x4. Jack the rear using the 4x4 to span the distance. Jack it up enough to roll some round bars. Roll one almost center then teeter the machine to the rear put some round stock in front and start rolling. The machine will pivot easily on the pipe too. I used a flatbed tow truck. 50 bucks they winched it up on the bed rolling on pipe. Rolled it back off with winch to the inside of garage and rolled right in place. I had a Johnson bar which is very helpful but not needed. You can also buy a square bar that's about six feet long that has a wedge forged on one end called a pinch point bar at your local menards or Home Depot landscape dept. It's a very stout bar used to lever big landscape rock and such like twenty bucks. Make sure you lock all axis before the drive. I would put a garbage bag over motor and spindle to keep road dirt from getting in. I've heard of people moving a lathe to get home to notice the tailstock was missing. Back tracking their route and not finding it either! Straps straps and straps for the straps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. It's not dirty enough to do the car wash thing, just the dirt you get from sitting in a garage for years and having oil/grease on things to hold that dirt nice and tight. A little degreaser will clean it up without too much issue. I like the idea of covering the motor etc to prevent road junk from getting into it. And yes, there will be strap overkill. I don't want anything moving without taking the trailer and truck with it! :)

Back