So I got a steam engine project...

Machdaddy

Registered
Registered
I'm told it was either out of a Stanley Steam car or was made by the same company that made engines for Stanley. It's been sitting in my basement for 2 years and I need your opinions. Today is the first day of doing research, in fact this is my first post anywhere about it.
Is it a worthwhile project? I kinda think it is just to test my machining abilities. I have always liked steam engines and thought I about buying a kit but this came along and the price was right. Can anybody verify the lineage? Is there a more appropriate forum for me to start hanging around? How would you proceed?
I figure to slowly and carefully disassemble it taking lots of pictures along the way cleaning and checking the fit of everything as I go.
Do you suppose it is a common enough engine that drawings exist?
My personal resources consist of a South Bend lathe and a Cincinnati vertical mill, and lots of time. More machinery at work if I need.
Any advice and direction will be gladly accepted!

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

Clearly I'll have to get it up into daylight and take better pics fur you folks. Sorry!

From what I remember, I do not think that Stanley made an engine with removable crank end heads; there were many steam "buggy" car makes, and makers of engines and boilers, etc. One maker of engines was the Mason Regulator company, they made engines for the early Stanley and Locomobile cars. The engines were located vertically beneath the driver's seat, and the boiler aft of that.

Gosh it sure look a lot like one! I just did a very, very cursory Google image search and came up with this:

Capture stanley steamer engine.JPG

In terms of a project, I think it would be very neat. Why build a kit when you can actually fool around with something "real" that has a bit of lineage to it.

The first thing I do whenever I find something like this is research the heck out of it first. Find out, if you can, exactly what it is before taking anything to pieces. This first step may save destroying valuable information along the way if one is not quite sure what one is working with. There may be some historical value to the piece as well, other than just age, which I would be inclined to look into as well. Not saying you have to give it to a museum, but at least be aware of any significance before doing work on it. My day job for the past 30 years has been in museum and preservation work -- it's very easy to erase that which makes a thing significant, and impossible to get it back. It shouldn't be too hard to find out if what you have is a legitimate piece or not.

After that, well, whatever it becomes I'm sure it would be interesting. Keep us posted on what transpires.

-frank

I would think it would be a good project, Do the pistons move in the cyl, crank turn etc. If so then yes I would think it would be fun.
I have done some small kits and non kit steam engines. and would like to do a bigger one. Have fun and keep us up to date

I have Absolutely nothing useful to add to this thread but I am Intrigued at that Beautiful piece of Machinery and would like to go along for the ride if you decide to do a rebuild.

I do have a question if you dont mind.......is the engine made from Brass/Bronze or Cast Iron?

Last edited:
I agree with Frank. Don't do anything to it until you know what it is and whether it might be an important (and perhaps valuable) historical treasure.

I also have made a career in the historic museum world and it is not a significant piece. In fact the museum sold it to me in the process of refining their collection.
It seems to be coming apart fairly well, pistons and cylinders will be useable after honing and the two slide valves will be workable with some lapping. Crankshaft is another matter. 636D3849-AE66-4B89-87D2-666CA865432E.jpeg636D3849-AE66-4B89-87D2-666CA865432E.jpeg5E08B6D1-D0B5-49E7-B7D9-B8AD2FB22691.jpegEFD5E4BA-731D-4465-ABA8-153F6461259A.jpeg

Back