So i need to make this part. It is .75 x .45 x .25

I have made a few similar parts.
Material used was key stock from the hardware store.
With the stock only held .050 into the vise, light cuts prevented wrecks.
First, cut the flat bottom with a .125 end mill. Then the champhers were cut with a 90 degree spot drill.
Did not bother with 30 degree, just made it 45.
Scope has kept zero for a year now.
The parts were milled in lengths equal to vise jaw width.

I don't think most of you guys know exactly what that is.......it's a clamp from a $6 set of scope rings.

I did get that but assumed it was a "Fun Project" and an excuse to play on the mill, which is all good, everyone needs an excuse to buy tooling ;-)

Here's another option,

https://advancedcarbidetooling.co.uk/chamfering-cutters/

Nine9 inserted milling tools are absolutely lovely, I have one of their engraving cutters and it's very good.

I don't think most of you guys know exactly what that is.......it's a clamp from a $6 set of scope rings.
yes I know it's cheap part but it is also a learning project.

So thanks to all that gave imput. So I finally got to get these made. Used a dril point/spotting mill to cut the bevels. Worked out fine. Made them as one long bar then cut them to lengh.

1527041501713499245079.jpg

Wherever you are in this project, OR other "micro" projects, the Number One issue is holding then secure whilst doing machine (or) Handwork.

So many of us don't think of some otherwise Obvious concepts, we "deal with Machinery".

Try to Superglue your part, to what some term as a "pallet". Specifically, that is a larger Sacrificial BASE, which can be held via a Vice, or Hold Down Clamps. the Super Glue Works Best when there is "Zero Fit" between parts. In Other words, Flat on Flat, And of course CLEAN metal: Acetone then Alcohol. One Drop of CA per Square Inch of Surface.

After all Milling, Filling to remove, choices abound Heat (but that is Stinky) Freeze! the Dissimilar Metallurgical Properties will cause a difference in Shrinking, and Break your bond!

I hope that helps.

philip, from the Great Pacific NorthWET.

Back