[4]

So I Was Driving Home And Noticed A 2ml Following Me

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Last edited:

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Needless to say, I just turned green. Unfortunately I have neither space nor need for that machine or one like it, but sure would like to find one just have....

Eremius

Registered
Registered
I am having difficulty finding information on the vertical head of the mill. There is a broken stud I would really like to get replaced but am having a hard time finding any information on the head.

I have a service manual for what I believe this machine to be but it makes no mention of the option of that head.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in a direction here.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You don't have the correct service manual for that mill. The head on that mill is not an aftermarket "add on". That mill came with that head from the factory. Keep looking, a manual will come around eventually. As for repair parts, they are untainable! You will have make your own. There a couple of places out there that may have repair parts from junked out mills. Get on the internet and start searching. I always wanted that mill in my shop! I gave up. Glad you got one, you won't be disappointed in it!

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Hip deep fixing up a few problems and getting this ready to run. I was able to find the bolt(s) needed to repair the broken one; additionally, Grainger had them on clearance and I got them for 85% off.

Mostly I have been just cleaning the jellied lubricants out of it at this point. I do have a leak in the vertical spindle assembly that I'm trying to work out at this point.

This weekend I am putting in the rotary phase converter so I can get power to it.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I go all over bad ain't never had a machine follow me home. If I fall I'm usually hurt . Some guys fall in crap and get up gold. Here's to YA lucky.
Ok you done good I bet she's still got a hundred years of life in her. Good job nice save.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice find, congratulations.

I uploaded some manuals here a while ago, ones I found along the way when trying to find one for my 1916 "3S", maybe one applies......

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/cincinnati-except-grinders.30/

Good luck, and please keep updating this thread!

-brino

hhhhhhmmmmm.........I looked closer, but even the manual I found that is marked "2ML" that I scanned and uploaded here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/reso...g-machine-2ml-2mi-3mi-service-and-parts.2852/
does _NOT_ match your machine.....of course it does say:
ScreenShot059.jpg

Last edited:

FOMOGO

Active User
That's a beauty. Any idea on the weight? Mike

Eremius

Registered
Registered

Eremius

Registered
Registered
I pulled the vertical head off to replace a broken bolt. You can see it on the left side.
20160906_191043_zpshr2l9l1p.jpg

In order to do that I had to pull out that whole gear assembly. That took a while to figure out. There was a plug on the side I had to remove to get access to this collar.
20160908_180613_zpszbpgqyor.jpg

Once those were loosened I was able to remove the assembly with some gentle persuasion from a rubber mallet. I was then able to remove the t-bolts through the hole on the top. Fortunately when I was looking for replacement bolts I was able to find them on clearance at Grainger for 85% off. Score!

20160908_180631_zpseick0b7q.jpg

If anyone is interested, here is the serial number.
20160908_180823_zps6rd03kfq.jpg

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Replaced the gear and the first section of the vertical head. Lots of nasty old lubricants.
20160924_153044_zpsyokzbixj.jpg 20160924_153050_zpsat1otk0g.jpg
20160924_153120_zpswgdiemhj.jpg

I remove the spindle housing so I can rip into it to try to determine why I am getting this leakage.
20160924_153131_zpsanli0c5e.jpg

This weekend's job is to get the phase converter installed.
20160928_165750_zpsv6czjhep.jpg

brino

Active User
The worst part on mine was cleaning out the coolant reservoir in the base.

The old metal chips of all kinds rusted together in the cesspool of gross old separated cutting fluids. After bailing, I made a few long chisels and scraping/shovelling tools for getting it out.

I also wore a garbage bag on my arm like a veterinary glove to try and dig the last of it out of the corners. At one point I got my arm got stuck in a very awkward position. Luckily after way too many minutes of struggling, my arm came free. I had started wondering if I would have to convince the rescue workers to break the arm NOT the cast-iron base!

Good Times.

-brino

brino

Active User

Eremius

Registered
Registered

Eremius

Registered
Registered
The worst part on mine was cleaning out the coolant reservoir in the base.

The old metal chips of all kinds rusted together in the cesspool of gross old separated cutting fluids. After bailing, I made a few long chisels and scraping/shovelling tools for getting it out.

I also wore a garbage bag on my arm like a veterinary glove to try and dig the last of it out of the corners. At one point I got my arm got stuck in a very awkward position. Luckily after way too many minutes of struggling, my arm came free. I had started wondering if I would have to convince the rescue workers to break the arm NOT the cast-iron base!

Good Times.

-brino
I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the reservoir. I am trying to figure out some method to not have to bail...

rrjohnso2000

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Garbage pump and power washer.

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Speaking of coolant. What can I use for coolant in this machine? Am I safe to use a soluble oil?

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Phase converter is installed and working. Voltages on the legs are within a couple percent.

It is moved into its final resting place (I hope). Now I just need to finish up tearing down the vertical spindle and I think we should be good to find more problems when I fire it up :confused 3:

Eremius

Registered
Registered
A friend came over last night and helped me get the transformer for the coolant pump switched over from 440 to 220.

There was obviously no type of documentation and no diagram either. So, we punt.

We decided to test some information my friend had picked up along the way that you can run voltage either way through a transformer. That being the hypothesis, we plugged what is (for our purposes) the output of the transformer into the wall and then measured the input side, and what do you know, we got 480.

It was then fairly simple to go to town with the multimeter and find which legs gave us 240.

That being done, it should be getting power this week.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
beefy machine, very well made by the looks :drool:
are those NMTB40 spindles i see???

Eremius

Registered
Registered
NMTB 40 for the vertical, NMTB 50 for the horizontal.

Eremius

Registered
Registered
So power is hooked up.

...and nothing. I am getting 3 legs of 240 to the contactor, the transformer is spitting out 120 but the solenoid (which runs off 120) does absolutely nothing.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
can you safely, manually, push the contactor in?
if the machine runs, then you have a control circuit fault

Eremius

Registered
Registered
can you safely, manually, push the contactor in?
if the machine runs, then you have a control circuit fault
Yes I can and did and the motor started right up (happy dance!!!)

I had a sneaking suspicion the issue may lie with the transformer as I didn't have a wiring diagram and it was iffy. I pulled the 110 leads off and plugged them into the wall, walked around to the other side of the mill and, what do you know, I hit the power button and the motor spins up.

At this point I am tired of messing around with that transformer and found a brand new one on Ebay for $40. It will be here Wednesday. In the meantime I can do more cleaning and finish up fluid changing. If I need to run it I can still always plug it into the wall.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
nice!
keep us posted

Eremius

Registered
Registered
Well, I did get her fired up and running for a bit on Saturday.

Then the other shoe dropped. :cower:

There is a clattering sound coming from inside the mill. I am speculating it is a broken tooth. I'm not shocked after all the signs of neglect I've found on it.

I guess I get to tear it down further. Expect more pics.

brino

Active User
I am speculating it is a broken tooth.
Well that's not too severe......I was thinking worse from your sentence before.
Hopefully the cause of the noise is both easy to find and eliminate.
Please keep us updated.

Best of luck!
-brino

Eremius

Registered
Registered
I am also seeing an issue on the overarm. It is capable of 9 speeds. It acts as you would expect for the first seven. On the 8th (2nd fastest) it takes a second to get up to speed. On the 9th it never gets up to speed. It is as if the motor is running at half RPM or less.

The main motor is a 3HP, the overarm motor is 2HP and the RPC is a 7.5 so I don't think it's a current issue. There is no bearing noise from the motor or anything to indicate binding, grinding, etc. It appears that motor has been on there for quite some time (I suspect it's OEM).

Thoughts, speculations?

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
You can Ck some of the current draw with an ohm meter. And the voltage o the motor. Or if as you said noise in gearbox may be part of the problem thick gear oil will slow it down too. Even a bad bearing , lots of things cause the problem you describe. Just guessing without being there.

[6]
[5] [7]