So I Was Driving Home And Noticed A 2ml Following Me

I pulled the vertical head off to replace a broken bolt. You can see it on the left side.
20160906_191043_zpshr2l9l1p.jpg

In order to do that I had to pull out that whole gear assembly. That took a while to figure out. There was a plug on the side I had to remove to get access to this collar.
20160908_180613_zpszbpgqyor.jpg

Once those were loosened I was able to remove the assembly with some gentle persuasion from a rubber mallet. I was then able to remove the t-bolts through the hole on the top. Fortunately when I was looking for replacement bolts I was able to find them on clearance at Grainger for 85% off. Score!

20160908_180631_zpseick0b7q.jpg

If anyone is interested, here is the serial number.
20160908_180823_zps6rd03kfq.jpg

Replaced the gear and the first section of the vertical head. Lots of nasty old lubricants.
20160924_153044_zpsyokzbixj.jpg 20160924_153050_zpsat1otk0g.jpg
20160924_153120_zpswgdiemhj.jpg

I remove the spindle housing so I can rip into it to try to determine why I am getting this leakage.
20160924_153131_zpsanli0c5e.jpg

This weekend's job is to get the phase converter installed.
20160928_165750_zpsv6czjhep.jpg

The worst part on mine was cleaning out the coolant reservoir in the base.

The old metal chips of all kinds rusted together in the cesspool of gross old separated cutting fluids. After bailing, I made a few long chisels and scraping/shovelling tools for getting it out.

I also wore a garbage bag on my arm like a veterinary glove to try and dig the last of it out of the corners. At one point I got my arm got stuck in a very awkward position. Luckily after way too many minutes of struggling, my arm came free. I had started wondering if I would have to convince the rescue workers to break the arm NOT the cast-iron base!

Good Times.

-brino

The worst part on mine was cleaning out the coolant reservoir in the base.

The old metal chips of all kinds rusted together in the cesspool of gross old separated cutting fluids. After bailing, I made a few long chisels and scraping/shovelling tools for getting it out.

I also wore a garbage bag on my arm like a veterinary glove to try and dig the last of it out of the corners. At one point I got my arm got stuck in a very awkward position. Luckily after way too many minutes of struggling, my arm came free. I had started wondering if I would have to convince the rescue workers to break the arm NOT the cast-iron base!

Good Times.

-brino
I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the reservoir. I am trying to figure out some method to not have to bail...

Speaking of coolant. What can I use for coolant in this machine? Am I safe to use a soluble oil?

Phase converter is installed and working. Voltages on the legs are within a couple percent.

It is moved into its final resting place (I hope). Now I just need to finish up tearing down the vertical spindle and I think we should be good to find more problems when I fire it up :confused 3:

A friend came over last night and helped me get the transformer for the coolant pump switched over from 440 to 220.

There was obviously no type of documentation and no diagram either. So, we punt.

We decided to test some information my friend had picked up along the way that you can run voltage either way through a transformer. That being the hypothesis, we plugged what is (for our purposes) the output of the transformer into the wall and then measured the input side, and what do you know, we got 480.

It was then fairly simple to go to town with the multimeter and find which legs gave us 240.

That being done, it should be getting power this week.

Back