So I Was Driving Home And Noticed A 2ml Following Me

beefy machine, very well made by the looks :drool:
are those NMTB40 spindles i see???

So power is hooked up.

...and nothing. I am getting 3 legs of 240 to the contactor, the transformer is spitting out 120 but the solenoid (which runs off 120) does absolutely nothing.

can you safely, manually, push the contactor in?
if the machine runs, then you have a control circuit fault
Yes I can and did and the motor started right up (happy dance!!!)

I had a sneaking suspicion the issue may lie with the transformer as I didn't have a wiring diagram and it was iffy. I pulled the 110 leads off and plugged them into the wall, walked around to the other side of the mill and, what do you know, I hit the power button and the motor spins up.

At this point I am tired of messing around with that transformer and found a brand new one on Ebay for $40. It will be here Wednesday. In the meantime I can do more cleaning and finish up fluid changing. If I need to run it I can still always plug it into the wall.

Well, I did get her fired up and running for a bit on Saturday.

Then the other shoe dropped. :cower:

There is a clattering sound coming from inside the mill. I am speculating it is a broken tooth. I'm not shocked after all the signs of neglect I've found on it.

I guess I get to tear it down further. Expect more pics.

I am speculating it is a broken tooth.

Well that's not too severe......I was thinking worse from your sentence before.
Hopefully the cause of the noise is both easy to find and eliminate.
Please keep us updated.

Best of luck!
-brino

I am also seeing an issue on the overarm. It is capable of 9 speeds. It acts as you would expect for the first seven. On the 8th (2nd fastest) it takes a second to get up to speed. On the 9th it never gets up to speed. It is as if the motor is running at half RPM or less.

The main motor is a 3HP, the overarm motor is 2HP and the RPC is a 7.5 so I don't think it's a current issue. There is no bearing noise from the motor or anything to indicate binding, grinding, etc. It appears that motor has been on there for quite some time (I suspect it's OEM).

Thoughts, speculations?

You can Ck some of the current draw with an ohm meter. And the voltage o the motor. Or if as you said noise in gearbox may be part of the problem thick gear oil will slow it down too. Even a bad bearing , lots of things cause the problem you describe. Just guessing without being there.

Back