So is a 240v Variac considered a tool as well?

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
OK guys- I know enough to be on the lookout for tools and tooling- but when it comes to the electrical stuff I'm really lost!

This was part of a free load of stuff I got for helping clean out a barn. I know eventually I will need a Variac for anodizing Titanium as well as electro-etching stainless steels.

It is in a home-made galvanized box with screw corner enclosures- no markings, no dial, no face, no knobs... I had to open the box to figure out what it was.

Here is a link to a seller of these things: http://www.newark.com/staco-energy-products/1520/variable-transformer/dp/05F310

And here are a couple of pics in the album: View media item 95759
SO- my questions are- is this a 0-240 V @ 9.5 Amp variac??? Is this TOO powerful for etching?

With a approx. 500 USD price tag I don't want to toss this if I can eventually use it. And no- I'm not interested in killing myself with it so that is why I'm asking about it here first! (I was the kid who put the fork in the outlet... yes- that one...) HA!

Oh it will work but it's probably way more voltage than you need. I doubt you would need more than about 30 volts at a few amps for etching. Also be aware that variacs are not isolated from the power line like a transformer is, so be careful of shock hazard.
It would probably best to have a step-down transformer connected between the variac and the bridge rectifier and then you would have a 0-30 volt isolated DC supply.
Mark S.

OK Mark- thank you!
Also be aware that variacs are not isolated from the power line like a transformer is, so be careful of shock hazard.
It would probably best to have a step-down transformer connected between the variac and the bridge rectifier and then you would have a 0-30 volt isolated DC supply.
Mark S.

So in the big picture- I'm not messing with this thing. Anyone have a need for it?

Variacs control the voltage. It is like a giant potentiometer. The question is the upper limit input voltage, and maximum current as well. Is there a reason you think it is for 240V input or is that what you are hoping for? It is difficult to try to determine the size of the variac, the terminals, and the wiring in your pic. No writing at all on it?

It may be rated for 220 v but you can feed it with 110 v and get 0-150 v out. I have a couple of them, one mounted in a case with an outlet. Handy to slow down a die grinder or router.
Greg

I'm sure someone here could use it as a simple motor speed controller- or monkey shocker! LOL The evil that men do...
Mark S.

I have two variacs. One says 110V in, 0-132V out, 297 VA, It is about three inches diameter and tall. The other one says 120V in, 0-140V out, 1 KVA. The second one is pretty big and about 10 pounds.

The question is the upper limit input voltage, and maximum current as well. Is there a reason you think it is for 240V input or is that what you are hoping for? It is difficult to try to determine the size of the variac, the terminals, and the wiring in your pic. No writing at all on it?

Variac2.JPG

Hey Bob- nothing on the box- this is the pic of the terminal board on the rear of the unit- it didn't load to the album for some reason in the first posting- sorry. I'm not hoping for it to be 240v- the Stayco data sheet on Newark Supply says:
The 1520 is a 1-phase manually operated voltage doubler Variable Transformer with accurate AC voltage control.
  1. Input Voltage: 240VAC
  2. Output Voltage: 280VAC
  3. Output Current: 9.5A
  4. Constant Current Load: 9.5A

The housing for it is about 14" square and 8 inches deep- plenty of room for it inside the box- the coil is about 7-7.5 inches diameter and about 5 inches tall-

I'm sure someone here could use it as a simple motor speed controller- or monkey shocker! LOL The evil that men do...
Mark S.

HA! problem is I'm the monkey...

Last edited:
It may be rated for 220 v but you can feed it with 110 v and get 0-150 v out. I have a couple of them, one mounted in a case with an outlet. Handy to slow down a die grinder or router.
Greg

Would that also lower the torque with the voltage drop?

Pretty beefy unit you got there, would fetch a good price but heavy to ship
MS

Back