So now I am mowing the lawn...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So for many years, I had a guy who mowed my lawn. This guy was old school, a hard worker, from El Salvador. He and his crew mowed, weeded, trmmed, cleaned up, seeded, sprayed. He also smoked. Unfortunately, he died of Cancer. His son took over. Nice guy, but a real speed demon. He and his crew cut and leave in a half hour. No weeding, seeding, just a really fast job. I ended up doing the weed and seed myself. He also doesn't charge you till year's end and wants it all in cash or a check made out to his mother (we can guess why that is). So I hired another guy. Gave me an invoice. Wife paid it. Then he decides he wants to be paid in advance by money order before he does the work.

So now I am going to be back to mowing my small front and back lawn. I have no mower (used to use a B&D electric, and cut the extension cord a few times a year). So I have to pick one up. One that is good for a homeowner with a small lawn. Of course, has to be gas, I read some reviews and the Honda is the best. Of course, they want $600 for that one. So I found a Toro for $400 that is self-propelled, electric button start, mulching. I am waiting to get it. I realize I also need a trimmer. Again, gas. Probably want the one that auto feeds the line out.

If you want it done right, you have no choice but to do it yourself.

I hear you. I have a fair sized yard. I have a riding lawn mower, and a 4 cycle trimmer, Like it because I do not have to mix gas for it. Same gas can for both. The trimer is one that also does the different attachments so have edger, hedge trimer, long pole chain saw trimer. They also make a blower and a tiller (feel it is worthless)
Although wife keeps complaining as I have problems moving for the next few days after doing it all because of back problems.

What about a battery powered mower Nels? Too pricey? Lawn too big?
mark

The guy who mows next door must be a relative of the son. In and out..... Boy does it look bad! You can't find any kids who want to make a buck anymore. Just sad. I only have a 1/2 acre and a small zero turn. Next lawn will be hard scrape.......No grass.

I've been in the lawn business 34 yrs. and used to have 6 full time and 4 part time employees and they all want a pay check but didn't want to work.They would be speed demons on the lawn I would tell them to slow down cause you cant get a good cut haul-in but and besides I would tell them that they were getting paid by they hour,you would think that would make them slow down.I work by my self now and much happier.

I cut my yard crew loose also. I kept asking them to raise the mower up, as it was scalping my St Augustine lawn, and to bag the clippings. The morons would forget to raise the mower, they would put a bag on the mower but not empty it. Any grass clippings on sidewalk or driveway they would blow into the street. Looked ghetto when they were done. Yep, speed demons

Many mowers now use Honda engines , Toro use to have a great two cycle engine model but no more two cycles on mowers . Toro usually make good mowers , I'd be Leary of electric start tho. The batteries don't hold up well and are costly. The problem as the mower ages the battery loses power to spin it fast enough to start. Nelson if it gets that way buy a cheap jump box and make a wire connector to use to jump it. Keep it maintained is the best option for long lasting mower. Oil changes and air filters too. Stihl makes some good trimmers , even there battery model seems good. I've spent forty years doing repairs on small engines , Never had an unhappy customer. Forgot , for awhile many of the four stroke trimmers had problems with the valves closing and causing hard and no starts.

First is how many square ft of lawn?

We have 2 battery rotary mowers from thrift stores that can cover average city lot on a charge.

They were exchange for gas ones by air resources folks.

Do NOT use them as we have an acre and a SCAG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Honda was rated the best mower. But it's $600. That's too steep. So I bought the Toro for $400. It was rated second best. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine, whereas the Honda has a Honda engine of course. The electric starter is a backup for me in case the pull string breaks. I broke the pull string on my Troy-bilt snowblower and the electronic ignition (you use an extension cord) came in very handy. (By the way, the Troy-bilt snowblower Storm sucks-- don't buy it --- Lowes features it).

The Honda trimmer is $379-- way too much. I just bought the Echo for $199 It got pretty good reviews. I have a very small property- 40x100-- with a small front and back lawn. Buying a Honda is overkill.

I don't want to get political and break my own rule. But these lawn guys here suck. The good guy I had died. His son and crew rush in and out like it's a fire. He's illegal and pays no taxes so he wants cash. So does the other guy I hired to replace him. He wants a money order in advance. They use day laborers they pick up on the street in various locations that they gather at. These guys get paid cash and they don't do a good job. My old guy used to work himself, and yell at the to do the job right---his son encourages them to rush. I have crabcrass all over in my lawn and flower beds because he mowed over it instead of pulling it and the seeds spread all over. They trim it with the trimmer, instead of pulling it, so as soon as it grows back it throws seeds all over.

Back