So, To Be or NOT to Be a Chaser!

If i do go the route of single pointing instead of a die head.. i think that i will do it all with a 13 pitch.. i have to do it for sure on the on the 1/2 shaft.. that is a given.. but i feel that i may do a double lead 13 pitch on the larger part.. speed in the movement is important there.

Most of the die heads are adjustable for thread fit. Buy the extended dies to get to a shoulder. If you have a lot to do that's the way. I have a big head and a medium 3/4" + 2" die heads , I'm looking for a smaller one 5/16 or up to 1/2" I think my medium one will do 1/2 + 3/4" . Been awhile YUPP.

You are making me think that this might me something to do..

This is excellent turret lathe work, do you have one? Using an opening die head in an engine lathe is not the most efficient way to go, if a recurring job that you can make a profit on year after year then invest in the die head.

Well, in another thread, i had mentioned about how the retainers for the gears to the banjo, that one had broken, well, they are sending some extras.. once they are here, i won't be so nervous about making gear changes..

I have banjos made up for (right now) three different feeds, two threads and one turning feed, .0028. Changing banjos is quicker than changing sets of gears. Make new banjos, buy extra gears. I have two more banjos to set up when needed. Made them from 1/8 CR steel.

Great idea for lathes without a QC box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don t think you can beat a geometric die head. You can adjust for the class of thread your after. In a different league on how much quicker it will be. If you have a surface grinder you can maintain the chasers, so a long term investment. As stated would be great for a turret lathe!

Back