So what projects have you completed on your 3 in one mill? Pics??

Chris_V

Registered
Registered
I've been wondering about how much effort I want to put into setting up the mill part of my combo. I'd like to see some of the work others have completed and maybe tell a little about your set up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 63
I've been wondering about how much effort I want to put into setting up the mill part of my combo. I'd like to see some of the work others have completed and maybe tell a little about your set up.

Thanks.
I have milled some slots and cut some flats on the motor shafts I used to do the variable speed upgrade my Harbor Freight 3 in 1. I couldn't figure out why the darn thing could not cut an accurate slot using the cross slide. This was a couple of years ago. The other day I was facing some stock taking fairly heavy cuts (for this machine) and realised the lathe was cutting a tapered face!.. it would not cut straight!

Then I had a Eureka moment.. When you put pressure on the tool the cross slide is pushed back along the longitudinal axis.. You can see the dial moving!

So there is a little handle that locks the cross slide in position.. I.e when doing facing work you lock the crosslide from moving back down the lathe.

That is why it wouldn't mill a slot crossways!.. Now I have realised that the milling function should work pretty well.

That's correct except for terminology. You should lock the carriage, not the cross slide, for facing on the lathe or milling across the bed. You cannot lock the cross slide because it must move to do the cutting in either case. The carriage is what moves from left to right on the bed. The cross slide is what moves toward you or away from you across the bed and carriage.

Muzzle brakes, machine slides for BoMar sights, checkering jig, adapted GSXR rims to a DRZ400, sear jigs, holsters are just a few things.

That's correct except for terminology. You should lock the carriage, not the cross slide, for facing on the lathe or milling across the bed. You cannot lock the cross slide because it must move to do the cutting in either case. The carriage is what moves from left to right on the bed. The cross slide is what moves toward you or away from you across the bed and carriage.
Carriage.. Thats right thankyou!

So I have upgraded to variable speed on the Lathe and Mill using treadmill motors and a PWM controller. I also drive the leadscrew with a windshield wiper motor driven by a small PWM.. I took the leadscrew gears out and now only use them for single point threading. I can disconnect the wiper motor by pulling a single cotter pin.

When the Rockwell Mill and SB13 came to my shop, the ShopTask was there to make bits n bobs. Gifted to a fellow injinear for race bike & RC car parts. Would rather have kept it, needed the room.

Thanks.
I have a Smithy Granite 1324. It is bolted to a Smithy stand which is leveled and secured to the wall studs. The machine has a QCTP and Igaging DRO. Mill accessories include a horizontal rotary table, mill vise, tilt table, R-8 tooling, and a tool post grinder.

A few projects involving primarily the mill include 1) mill quill clamp and stop, 2) solid tool post mount, 3) grinder table trunnion, 4) milled vise bed ways, 5) replacement insert for a bike headlight clamp, and most recently 6) downfeed hydraulic cylinder for a horizontal/vertical bandsaw.

FWIW, Of the machines I own, I use the Smithy the most often. Below is a photo of the machine. Photos of the projects follow.

Smithy Granite 1324
Smithy Stand.JPG

Mill Clamp Drawing and Clamp Installed on the mill
Small3.jpg
Small1.jpg

Solid Tool Post Mount
Solid Tool Post Mount.jpg

Grinder Table Trunnion
DSC_0081.JPG

Milled Vise Bed Ways
DSC_0182.JPG

Headlight Clamp Insert
DSC_0141.JPG

Downfeed Cylinder
DSC_0142.JPG

Muzzle brakes, machine slides for BoMar sights, checkering jig, adapted GSXR rims to a DRZ400, sear jigs, holsters are just a few things.

Do you have any drawings of the muzzle brakes? I want to make some, but not sure what will work.

Back