[4]

So where to now ?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
It's been a journey . We get old and move on .

Nutfarmer

Registered
Growing older is better than the alternative. Life changes and we change with it.

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
We all have times when we question our next move. One of the nice things about being part of an enthusiast forum is the ability to associate with people who share your particular passion (madness?), and can relate to the challenges faced much more than your average friend or acquaintance. In these times it is always helpful to be able to seek help with the big questions.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly it sounds like you are ready for a break. Keeping this board going and maintaining the friendly atmosphere here is definitely a big job and we all appreciate it more than you will ever know:encourage:.

Please know that I've always looked forward to reading your posts, knowledge is meant to be shared and yours is well appreciated. As long as you can read and type your community will always be here for you.

Cheers,

John

mmcmdl

Staff member
Yes, but we haven't cleaned out the barn yet....:)
Trying to decide what to keep and let go is very challenging at this point . I know I'll never use 95% of what is in the garage and basements , but it is hard to let go .

mmcmdl

Staff member
Dave, this is pretty cryptic. Care to enlighten us as to what you're talking about?
I have to lighten the load so to speak Mike . When everything was in drawers it was out of sight , now that I'm trying to organize it all it's kind of taken over the whole house ! I have what I want to keep as far as machines now ( smallish ) but all of the older tooling will take me forever to shed . :surrender: I need a bigger space or less tools , one or the other . :grin:

mikey

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Ah, I see. I was worried you were thinking of moving on from HM and that would have been a really, really sad thing.

You don't happen to have a Wohlhaupter UPA-1 or UPA-2 with an R8 shank, do you?

Alcap

Registered
We are in the last weekend of moving into the new house so I'm familiar to what your going through . You keep things that your going to use or repair and the reality is it's most likely need happen . Because we're only moving about 6 miles away I kept too many " treasures " anyway lol . Good Luck on your move !

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I will bet that if you ask for help someone on the forum will be happy to oblige; the knowledge you could share just sorting your things would be invaluable.

John

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Glad Mike got you out of cryptic mode Dave! You sound like you have been in the right place at the right time to harvest machinery and tooling for quite a while. That's a good thing and a bad thing. Every place I've ever worked has had some crazy bone yards that have made my hoarder tendencies flare. But I was married to a nomad for 30yrs who moved every couple of years so I got phobic about too much and too heavy. Now I'm married to a mimimalist who doesn't need to move to shed stuff and keep me in line. It has made me very aware of what I actually use and what I use it for and not let my TAS get out of control. For me it's a good thing.

tmenyc

In some ways it's a blessing that my wife and I are in 880 sq ft in lower Manhattan, here for 41 years and not moving until we're carried out. All of my shop is in an 11x11 room, including the pen bench and all the tools, etc, and my scale model building, and the desk space, and now the lathe and everything with it. Bringing in the lathe forced me to completely rethink the space, halve the desk space, and clear out a ton of stuff that was there because until that moment it still fit. Then I added a bench grinder on a pedestal with a box hanging off the back to collect the metal dust. Now I'm working on clearing off half a bookshelf directly behind the pedestal, widening just that shelf, mounting the grinder to it, and bolting my incoming 4 1/2" restored Athol vise to the pedestal so I no longer have to take stock to my office shop to use the hacksaw or angle grinder. My space is a zero sum game that keeps finding small opportunities to fit needs.
Dave, you scared me for a minute too...happy to hear you're making space in your life but please do keep HM in the occupied space...

Tim

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Dave,
Are you retiring? Moving? Selling out?
What did I miss?

mmcmdl

Staff member
Ah, I see. I was worried you were thinking of moving on from HM and that would have been a really, really sad thing.

You don't happen to have a Wohlhaupter UPA-1 or UPA-2 with an R8 shank, do you?
Oh , heck no , not leaving HM . I'm continually entertained on this site . Plus , I never stop learning . Some of the work and ideas on here are pretty spectacular to say the least . Once I figure out this darn VFD situation I'll be fine but reading about them on here makes my head spin ! :grin: First things first , I have to clear a path to the breaker box .

For the B/F heads , yep , I have a Wahlhopter UPA-1 and a Narex UPA-1 5/8 with R8s left .

mmcmdl

Staff member
Because we're only moving about 6 miles away I kept too many " treasures " anyway lol . Good Luck on your move !
It took me 8 months to move 100 feet back in 93 , and I still have un-packed boxes of tooling . Talk about hoarding ! :big grin:

mikey

Active User
Talk about hoarding ! :big grin:
They say hoarding is a mental illness, Dave; If so then by definition I suspect most hobby machinists are mentally ill!

PM sent about that boring head.

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Bigger space is just an excuse to get MORE stuff no matter what your initial intentions are. What you need is a Don. Don is a good friend of mine who has relieved me of two plus heaping truckloads of excess stuff. Where he puts it all is an unknown to all who know him. He never gets rid of anything. His house isn’t THAT big, but everything that he takes off of friends hands disappears within it. He lives alone which is probably the key. Over the decades he has relieved many of their unneeded (if such a thing exists) stuff.
Getting rid of 70+ years of must-keeps is painful, but thanks to my Don, I have managed to be able to walk, not trip, through my basement office and shop even with the lights off without injuring myself.
BD (before Don) this would have been impossible, and after more than a year, I still haven’t missed any of my precious must-have collection of stuff. Well almost.........

brino

Active User
BD (before Don) this would have been impossible, and after more than a year, I still haven’t missed any of my precious must-have collection of stuff. Well almost.........
The other bonus of having "a Don", I imagine, is that if you have serious regrets about getting rid of something and decide you do absolutley need it, then you can probably borrow it back for one more job.
-brino

Firstgear

I have been organizing my shop...before I got the mill and lathe I had to clear the area where the machines were going to go. I basically threw a grenade at the area. Going on 8 months and the shop has some daylight at the end of the tunnel! I decided when I went through it if I wasn’t using things they had to go.

I had items I hadn’t used or needed for 5 years or more. If I couldnt find a place to put it or in something it was goodbye! While my piles don’t sound as bad as yours, I know the feeling of parting with stuff.

Since part of the process is the indecision, a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff. Your objective is to move the items, not necessarily maximize dollars per item. It will help to go this route as you know the stuff has to go!

Aukai

"a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff."

That's going to be expensive for me.......:(

Firstgear

"a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff."

That's going to be expensive for me.......:(
Ha! I wasn’t trying to help solve your problem!

[5] [7]