So where to now ?

Because we're only moving about 6 miles away I kept too many " treasures " anyway lol . Good Luck on your move !

It took me 8 months to move 100 feet back in 93 , and I still have un-packed boxes of tooling . Talk about hoarding ! :big grin:

Talk about hoarding ! :big grin:

They say hoarding is a mental illness, Dave; If so then by definition I suspect most hobby machinists are mentally ill!

PM sent about that boring head.

Bigger space is just an excuse to get MORE stuff no matter what your initial intentions are. What you need is a Don. Don is a good friend of mine who has relieved me of two plus heaping truckloads of excess stuff. Where he puts it all is an unknown to all who know him. He never gets rid of anything. His house isn’t THAT big, but everything that he takes off of friends hands disappears within it. He lives alone which is probably the key. Over the decades he has relieved many of their unneeded (if such a thing exists) stuff.
Getting rid of 70+ years of must-keeps is painful, but thanks to my Don, I have managed to be able to walk, not trip, through my basement office and shop even with the lights off without injuring myself.
BD (before Don) this would have been impossible, and after more than a year, I still haven’t missed any of my precious must-have collection of stuff. Well almost.........

BD (before Don) this would have been impossible, and after more than a year, I still haven’t missed any of my precious must-have collection of stuff. Well almost.........

The other bonus of having "a Don", I imagine, is that if you have serious regrets about getting rid of something and decide you do absolutley need it, then you can probably borrow it back for one more job.
-brino

I have been organizing my shop...before I got the mill and lathe I had to clear the area where the machines were going to go. I basically threw a grenade at the area. Going on 8 months and the shop has some daylight at the end of the tunnel! I decided when I went through it if I wasn’t using things they had to go.

I had items I hadn’t used or needed for 5 years or more. If I couldnt find a place to put it or in something it was goodbye! While my piles don’t sound as bad as yours, I know the feeling of parting with stuff.

Since part of the process is the indecision, a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff. Your objective is to move the items, not necessarily maximize dollars per item. It will help to go this route as you know the stuff has to go!

"a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff."

That's going to be expensive for me.......:(

"a suggestion is to let the people on the forum know what two days you will be at home and they are welcome to go through the boxes and buy the stuff."

That's going to be expensive for me.......:(
Ha! I wasn’t trying to help solve your problem!

Back