So who thinks they will be driving electric in 10 years?

For now, you are correct and will probably continue for a little while.
The problem lies with the batteries currently used and the power density along with charge & discharge rates allowed, and cycles before needing replaced. Without some major breakthrough in batteries that could be retro-fitted in current EV's, the ones currently on the road have a finite useful life span.
EV's make up maybe 1% of cars on the roads worldwide today, even less when your consider all other types of vehicles like pick-ups, semi's, etc.
Consider how many more batteries would be required for just 50% of all vehicles on the roads. That's a lot of batteries and a lot of electricity to charge them.
Enter any other green, renewable energy source that on par or cheaper than batteries and EV's go the way of the Do-Do overnight along with the resale value.

I also agree that kids of today lack the qualification and desire to work a lot of the jobs available, but technology and automation is greatly reducing the need for workers as well.
I also look at the fact that I had a good paying job before retiring. That said, I bought a brand new F-150 4X4 about a year after I started that job. The "Out the door" price was in the neighborhood of 30% of my annual gross income. That same truck today runs around 80% of my gross annual salary.
Then you consider maintenance costs. Simple thing like a headlight that used to run a couple bucks cost you $25 and up these days. I used to always replace valve stem with new tire changes for around $5 for all four. Now it's $10-$20 each plus the cost to program the computer to accept the TPS monitor in them. Speaking of tires, I remember being able to buy a complete set of good tires for under $200 with free mounting and balancing. That amount might get you 2 cheap tires today and then add another $15-$20 per tire for the mount, balance, and other fees. The list goes on and many of those costs don't go away with changing to an EV.

Time will tell if EV's stay the wave of the future in transportation. I just think it's too big of a gamble right now. I also think that for most EV owners today, the EV is a second or third vehicle and not their only vehicle. There's always exceptions, but I think a vast majority fall into this category.
I've yet to meet the person who only owns EV's.

Sheer luxury, when ar wert lad you would get a free handfull of oats fer te horse when you pulled up tut store.
Nowadays theres nawt around tet serve yer.

Sheer luxury, when ar wert lad you would get a free handfull of oats fer te horse when you pulled up tut store.
Nowadays theres nawt around tet serve yer.
You may be hiding out down under, but my guess is you fled from somewhere between Harrogate and Scarborough!

Oz is the land of the Tesla Mega-Battery! -> LINK

Last edited:
:laughing: good guess but no cigar, I come from a tiny village called Bedfont on the edge of Heathrow Airport and later years King's Lynn in Norfolk.
I was attempting to emulate the Python Sketch from somewhere "oop North"

Oz is the land of the Tesla Mega-Battery! -> LINK

And didnt that stir the possum amongst all the lib/nat pollies
I am really hoping for a huge leap in battery tech sometime soon but not holding my breath.
And as I said earlier small scale nuclear power will have to be used along with renewables.
I'm up to 5Kw on my house now and want to go larger.

I know there will likely come a point when the link will linger and die, but I put it here anyway, just to get an eyeful of what is coming. There are links to reviews, and some pricing.

Here --> LINK - Every Electric Vehicle That's Expected in the Next Two Years

The shenanigans that accompanied Elon's Truck announcement apparently did not stop him taking 200,000 advance orders. Tesla fans are a loyal bunch. They will forgive promotional stumbles, expecting any shortcomings will be fixed by the time it is delivered.

Apparently Ultra-Hard 30X Cold-Rolled stainless steel that shrugs off 14-lb. sledge hammer blows without a scratch, and Tesla armor glass as standard for all.

CyberTruck --> LINK (Tesla's Hype)

tesla-cybertruck-dubai-police.jpg
Maybe the Dubai police force are also fans..

Last edited:
The energy storage will need to be much better than it is today. Then our power grid will need to be rebuilt. The power needs to come from somewhere, At current time peak power generation is from fossil fuel. I understand that some areas already have infrastructure problems due to electric golf carts in retirement communities.

We have a saying here in Colstrip Montana; plug in your Tesla and hope the wind blows. Look us up on the net.

In 10 years? Looking back, and thinking, I do not think there was a point in my life that I would have been right on my thinking of what I would be doing in 10 years. 10 years ago, We moved from Pa, to Co, and we said that would be the last time we ever moved. Then 4 years ago, we moved across town. I would like to think I will still be driving my collection of 77 & 85 (5 of em) Dodge trucks, but Who knows.

Back