Soft faced machinist hammer

ivel03

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Made from scraps - the main body was an old rusty shaft. I had a length of brass rod, The other end is a plastic that came in a Kennedy toolbox from an auction. There were 3 shop made hammers that were 6 -9" long of this plastic. The were obviously soft faced hammers but the heads were very oversized to the handles. One the handle had broken off and also was square stock so i used my rotary table to mill it circular before chucking it up in the lathe as i don't have a 4 jaw chuck yet. The handle is an old shaft from a cub cadet snow blower that had the worm gear all chewed up. I wasn't thinking when i made it and drilled and tapped all of the way through the main body so i was able to machine a small plug to go in the top.

The biggest game changer for me was to purchase a digital micrometer. I was having issues getting repeatable (and accurate?) measurements with my digital calipers but switching to the digital micrometer made it much faster and easier. Set what i want the final part to be, hit the incremental mode button, then measure my part. The display will tell you how far you have to go. That's what i was trying to do with the manual micrometer and also the digital calipers but i was going wrong somewhere.

It's heavy on the brass side so it naturally spins to brass side down! There were 2 holes in the shaft which are set so it can be hung. It was a fun project and i learned a bunch doing it.

PXL_20220618_002656778.jpgPXL_20220618_002713221.jpgPXL_20220618_002720104.jpg
PXL_20220618_002642110.jpg

Back