Soft jaws for import lathe chuck

billooms

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have a source for soft jaws for the chucks on import lathes? My chuck is a 6" 3-jaw chuck (Grizzly G0750G lathe) and I suspect that many of the import lathes use the same chuck. I want to make some special shaped jaws. I'm inspired to make my own after seeing the Haas video.

Does anyone have a source for soft jaws for the chucks on import lathes? My chuck is a 6" 3-jaw chuck (Grizzly G0750G lathe) and I suspect that many of the import lathes use the same chuck. I want to make some special shaped jaws. I'm inspired to make my own after seeing the Haas video.
Try us shop tools.
jimsehr

If you have the time, you should consider making your own soft jaws. Using a scrap of aluminum bar stock, it only took me a few minutes to make a set for my import chuck.

Lathe Soft Jaws 01.jpglathe soft jaws 02.jpg

Matt

Lathe Soft Jaws 01.jpg lathe soft jaws 02.jpg

Thanks for the links to Dillon. It looks like they have what I need. I didn't see prices or ordering info on the web site, but I'll contact them. Any idea what the prices are for a set of soft jaws from them?

Matt -- after seeing the ones you made, I might take a try at making a set. I only have a very small milling machine, but I'll give it a try.

After reading Matt's encouragement, I made my own soft jaws from aluminum. It was a good exercise and I'm happy with the results.

SoftJaws2.jpgSoftJaws1.jpg

SoftJaws1.jpg SoftJaws2.jpg

Those look very nicely made. Good job!

Back