Votes: 1 7.7%
  • all of the above, ie. one of each

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, what's on your mill vise?

I use AL softjaws almost exclusively on my mills. Big fan of softjaws in the lathe also.

Good catch Bob, I should have included that in the survey. I am getting ready to make a couple of sets of soft jaws. Looking at the different prices of Brass vs. Copper vs. Aluminum vs. bronze, I see why everyone is using Aluminum. Mild steel is also an option. Right now, I am leaning towards brass, but that might change. In any case, I think a set of mild steel jaws is in the making as well.

Good catch Bob, I should have included that in the survey. I am getting ready to make a couple of sets of soft jaws. Looking at the different prices of Brass vs. Copper vs. Aluminum vs. bronze, I see why everyone is using Aluminum. Mild steel is also an option. Right now, I am leaning towards brass, but that might change. In any case, I think a set of mild steel jaws is in the making as well.

Let me help, all done. :encourage:

To be clear, I have never made soft jaws of any material for holding special shapes of work. I make and use mild steel standard every day jaws because they are cheap, easy to make, hard enough to hold work without significant wear in my home shop, and easy to dress if slightly damaged, even in place. They are also easier on your cutters if you accidentally run them into the jaws, not that I have ever done that (so far!).

Back