Soft start for single AC phase motor?

umnik

Registered
Registered
I have an AC induction motor, single phase, 3 HP, 220V. Once it gets running, it consumes noticeably less than 20A. I have 220V, 20A outlet. And when this motor starts it frequently trips circuit breaker on motor startup, but never, once it got running. Obvious resolution is to install 30A outlet and call it a day. Well, may be I will do it one day. But for now I would like to check other options. Is there such thing as soft start device for such device which will prevent high amperage draw on startup?

Cant you convert it to 3 phase (remove cap) and use a VFD?

Tazzat, I know about VFDs, but the motor I have is single phase motor. I never heard about conversion of such motors to three phase.

Depends on the motor they used.. often they use a 3 phase motor and just add a cap to run it on 1 phase..
The pump to my steam shower runs on 1 phase but the motor i 3 phase whit a cap.

JimDawson,
Yes, it looks like what I am looking for. Though there is one caveat that I found in tech spec. It says 15 starts per hour, hmm, that the limitation. Interesting, why is that? Will research more on that. And thank you for the link.

It has to have something to do with heat generation I would think??. 15 starts per hour, interesting.
I love this forum.

What do you have this motor on? Is there anything you can do to the equipment to reduce the starting load?
The nameplate says 22 amp, you probably should have it on a 30A circuit anyhow. The running amps will be highly dependent on the motor load. As you add load the amps will climb.

Back