Soft Steel Bar

Don't go for easy IMO . Get some 1018 or abs-A (or find some scrapidium and make it work) and make parts. 1018 is hateful stuff to work with but cheap and actually spec for some jobs. I have never seen 12L14 as the material in a job. It costs more than 1018 and if you can master surface finish and chip control you have learned something to use later. 300 series stainless is also an easy material to machine but often specified in jobs.

Steve

12L14 is used once in a while for Cylinder Sleeves on model engines built by hobby machinists. It is used because of its extremely friendly nature. Cuts easily and finishes well. For practice it's the best. I would go with some of the tuff stuff once you have mastered the 12L14. Stay far away from Inconel and stellite. They are the pits to machine. I would hate to see you stop because of frustration.

"Billy G"

If you buy 1215 grade material, which I find it to be reasonably priced if bought in 48" long pieces from Speedy Metals, it has mechanical properties similar to that of 1018-1026 material. And it's so much easier to machine, too! I don't do heat treating or welding with this grade of material.

Back