software prefrences

I have been using Vectric Aspire.
Very easy to design in and to import from Corel Draw and Photoshop, so I don't need to use CAD software.

I had never programmed before and to me it was very easy with the training videos and support on there form, if you need it.

My Legacy CNC Router uses Mach 3 software to operate and is also very easy to use. Legacy has live online training that is very help full for both software programs.

I wish I would of known about D2NC before I bought my Dolphin CAD/CAM package. I may still get it any way. I'm setting up an older Bridgeport CNC with some new electronics for resale. I may just throw in some software with it. That would give me an excuse to try the progam. Thanks for the tip!

There are a lot of software programs out there which offer different levels of involvement. Some of the programs take a graphic file and spit out gcode, others require you to put in some values. I have longed for the software that can spit out g code with little input as possible but I am so cheap i would rather write my own program than spend $2K or more for a decent program. This is my thoughts on that: I own a machine that can make almost anything, it can replicate itself quite easily so why am i going to pay for a part that i can make for a big fraction of the cost and learn something along the way. It would be nice to buy the expensive software but i have no deadlines to meet so time is on my side. i use free software for everything, blender for the drawing and designing, and linuxcnc for everything else. It can cut from a picture(png,jpg,gif,etc) it does require some user input but i have been able to do everything i needed so far. In school i used mastercam and that is very powerful software and expensive so you get what you pay for. This might be helpful but i had to give my 2 cents.

Sheetcam is pretty good for the money.. It is kind of cluttered though.

For general mechanical use I like CamBam. Cheap, easy to use, and it works!
For signage and other v-carving tasks it's hard to beat V-Carve.
If I was trapped on a desert island with only one CAM program, I would want V-Carve Pro.

Back