Solder iron recommendations

If you remember Allied Radio, Burstein Applebee might be back there in the cobwebs too...?
Must admit I do not remember them.

I never had that much luck with soldering guns until at some point I realized there had to be really low resistance connections where the tip ends connected. I still don't find that they heat consistently. Maybe some conductive goop would help?

I never had that much luck with soldering guns until at some point I realized there had to be really low resistance connections where the tip ends connected. I still don't find that they heat consistently. Maybe some conductive goop would help?

I'm not a fan of soldering guns myself. I prefer an iron of some sort. Usually I use an Ungar iron hooked into
a Variac for temperature control. I have several with different wattages and tips depending on the job. For bigger jobs
I will use a 100 watt Black Beauty and for larger jobs, I drag out the Hexacon.

Burstein Applebee had an electronics catalog I drooled over as a kid. Also I built a lot of Heathiits and an Eico kit or two as well.

Don't know why but pretty much all the kits I built were the Allied ones "Knight-Kit." I think maybe they were a little plainer and cheaper than the Heathkits? It would be sorta fun to have a couple of them around but they are long gone.

I bought a used Hexacon precision temperature controlled soldering station from the Tektronix surplus store 30 years ago... I have always regretted it... I should have bought 4 more of them! No clue what I would use 5 soldering stations for but it was a great deal and the one I bought has worked perfectly for 30 years now. I bought a variety of Hexacon tips off ebay and use the soldering station for everything from surface mount to 10 gauge stranded. I have an even older Weller and it does a great job but the Hexacon is the one that is always on my bench ready to use.

Hi Mike. Do you know a good place to get Hexacon tips? I have a couple of Hexacon irons. They are fine, but once the tip loses its plating, it degrades rapidly. They seem to be discontinued in the smaller sizes.

If you remember Allied Radio, Burstein Applebee might be back there in the cobwebs too...?

Just insure the copper is clean.

A dab of grease does not hurt.

Insure they are always tight.

Almost forgot about BA...

remember their catalogs of lots of odds and ends...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Hi Mike. Do you know a good place to get Hexacon tips? I have a couple of Hexacon irons. They are fine, but once the tip loses its plating, it degrades rapidly. They seem to be discontinued in the smaller sizes.

I picked up a bunch of tips off ebay for really cheap back when I bought my iron. I haven't needed to replace any yet so I haven't looked lately. I have a couple of needle point tips that are excellent for surface mount work... but I wouldn't part with them.

IIRC in the very beginning of the film "In Cold Blood" where Robert Blake gets off the bus there's a Burnstein-Applebee sign in the distance
Mark

Back