Solid State timer help

I'm sure that all that i have can't be bad. Pulled multiple units off used machines.
I hate to throw them all away but I sure can't get them to do anything.

It's possible that the control input is designed to work with 120 vac, despite the + and - markings. You might try that.
Given the lack of any available info on them there may not be much else you can do.
They may have been built for some specific purpose for a single customer- what did they come off of?
M

Last edited:
I did try the 120v to the control input... No smoke .... No nothing...

Thanks....

OK, well good that you tried to recycle them, the amount of electronics that goes to scrap is truly shameful
M

Looks like the unit can only give 1 amp output, so you would need to add an external relay to control larger currents.
Pins 6 and 7 would connect to a variable resistor of about 100k ohms
The control input either starts or stops the timer- don't know which. You might could use a 9v battery to test it.
Here's a picture of a similar timer I found on Galco website:
View attachment 286687
As you correctly ask Mark, be nice to know exactly what the "piece of string is required to do".
  1. External trigger.?
  2. Power On trigger.?
  3. Power Off trigger.?
  4. On delay.?
  5. Off Delay.?
  6. Recycle.?
  7. At time out, what do you require. Power applied, or Power Disconnect.
  8. Before timeout, Power applied or Disconnected.?
  9. Load Current.?
  10. Load Voltage.?
  11. ?????????
Correct answers come from Correct questions or Specifications.

Like the answer to the question of life, which I think is currently, is 42. Is that helpfull at all?????

edit:- The timer you have is a ISO-TIMER (SINGLE SHOT) according to ABB website.

Now, what is it that you want to achieve?

Last edited:
Winter time is my school time in my shop. I go to the junkyards and get industrial machines to
play with at no cost. My learning tools. Everything from zero-maxs's, uhing drives, gearboxes,
electric motors and you name it. I never know what I might find. I never know what I might build
from what I find. Last two weeks I have been working with encoders and Multi ranger counter/timers.
I especially like finding something I've never seen before. First thing I do is google it to find what
I found. Then it's off to the shop to see if I can make it work. I got many boxes of electronics and
gadgets that I think must be one of a kind. Playing with electricity has not killed me yet...
Things I've built with my junk...
bipolar motors.
jacob's ladders
tesla coils
unipolar motors
Phase converters.
CNC mill
and much more.

Great stuff. Thing is, I don't mind helping for a purpose with a reasonable result.
I also, have a pile of stuff, that require stuff to be done.
Have fun with, your stuff.

That's a tough nut to crack. It is surprising that a data sheet hasn't turned up. Offhand, I would think that terminals 4 & 5 were a d.c. trigger voltage. 24 volts is a fairly common industrial voltage. The problem is the delay. Without knowing what the delay vs. resistance curve is, you could be waiting for as long as 16 minutes for a response.

The labeling is confusing. The + and - on terminals 2 & 3 in particular. The devices is USA made and I would expect the more common L1, L2 or N, L1. Given that the manufacturer used + and - for a.c. connections on other devices (post # 3), it may mean that the trigger voltage was a.c. as well.

I would guess that this is mid to late '90's technology, preceding microprocessor technology that became common in industrial controllers. There appears to be a fair number of the devices available from vendors specializing in obsolete electronics. The EISS4D22 is a similar device but searching for a data sheet was unsuccessful as well.

Yep, agreed. Could even be older than that- 80s? R/C, comparator/555, triac output
Too bad it's potted
M

Hey... Thanks or all your help... I had fun playing anyway. I don't expect everything that I get
from the junk yard to work. Like I say this is more of a learning tool for me. I like the old stuff...

Back