Solid Steel Yarn Winder -- the most overkill yarn winder I could build

Badabinski

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Over the past few months, I've been working on a present for my girlfriend. She does quite a bit of crochet and has always wanted a yarn winder. I wanted to get her one, but I wasn't happy with the plastic/wooden ones that were commercially available, so I decided to make her one.

I have a pretty in-depth blog post about the build process here: http://www.fos.tech/posts/the-solid-steel-yarn-winder/

I'll also post a couple of pictures and the main video here:

(This will be the only full-res picture posted out of deference to those with slower internet connections. The rest are thumbnails or have been reduced in size on my blog.)
P5151367.JPG

Attachments

• P5151366.JPG
    P5151366.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 16
  • P5151374.JPG
    P5151374.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 13
  • P5151377.JPG
    P5151377.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Beautiful work! Looks like it might need a counterweight :p

Beautiful work! Looks like it might need a counterweight :p
That's definitely on the agenda! I'm trying to source some tungsten that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Copper might also work, but it would need to be a pretty large piece. The sorbothane washers and bumpers are doing okay for now, though.

EDIT: I've also considered getting a local machine shop that can do EDM to pop some holes in some tungsten carbide, since that stuff is also quite dense, and might actually be cheaper than pure tungsten.

Very nice ! But since I know absolutely nothing about crochet or knitting, what is the purpose of re-winding the yarn from the ball that it was already on ?
Ted

Very nice ! But since I know absolutely nothing about crochet or knitting, what is the purpose of re-winding the yarn from the ball that it was already on ?
Ted
The most common case is to divide a ball up into multiple smaller balls. That makes it a lot more manageable when you have a bunch of different colors you're working with. There's a few other use-cases in the blog post, but that's the main one my girlfriend will be using this for.

TIL about copper-tungsten. 75/25 copper-tungsten is still almost double the density of steel, while being about half the cost of regular tungsten. Picked up a 0.5"x0.75"x8" bar for $109, so I'll be able to get a counterweight on this thing.

Wowsers - what a fantastic piece of kit!

I have vague memories (10-20 years old) of a yarn winder that a friend of mine had. She would frequently buy yarn in large skeins - think of a 1 foot diameter donut of something like 1 or 2 inch minor diameter. Definitely in need of winding into manageable balls! The skein would be placed on an expanding-spoke spindle something like the bulk wire measurer/winder at Home Depot.

I also seem to recall that the yarn winder had a guide loop for the incoming yarn, so the strand would align with the center of the winding stem.

also seem to recall that the yarn winder had a guide loop for the incoming yarn, so the strand would align with the center of the winding stem.
I remember that of the one mum used to use. There was also a funky shape roller guide thing you could use that had notches cut in it, but my memory of that is somewhat vague.

Lovely work!

Back